FORUMS: list search recent posts

So do you ever see a Graphics job posting with this?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Grote, Jr.
So do you ever see a Graphics job posting with this?
on Jan 5, 2014 at 12:37:59 pm

Just curious as the years go by of being a multifaceted editor because of our ever changing industry, have any of you ever noticed a job posting for a Graphic Artist that ever mentions "Editorial Skills" in the posting?

It always seems that they want editors to be graphic designers, but never the opposite.

Cheers,

John

J. Grote, Jr.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: So do you ever see a Graphics job posting with this?
on Jan 6, 2014 at 2:42:02 pm

They may also be referring to classic Print-related editorial skills, like copy-editing, but also, how to mark-up a page for the printing service. That sort of thing.

Return to posts index

John Grote, Jr.
on Jan 6, 2014 at 9:08:51 pm

Mark,

This is a little tongue and cheek posting, but you know as well as I do there are way to many video editorial job postings with what I said in the first post.

J. Grote, Jr.

Return to posts index

Christopher Travis
on Jan 9, 2014 at 2:35:29 pm

I was thinking just yesterday about how, as freelancers are expected to be more and more diverse in their skills, it seems that this expansion is happening from editorial, outwards.

Rightly or wrongly, I think editors are seen as the most crucial player in the post production workflow, and that their storytelling skills are the most nuanced/hardest to learn skills in the chain. Also, usually they are on the job for longer than the other roles such as graphics/compositing/sound designers, and are there from the start so it makes sense to add to their role and have them carry it further to completion than to ask someone who traditionally comes on board later to start moving back along the production process.

This is (sort of) good news for editors as they are well placed to keep their jobs as long as they can diversify. As for the others, editing is actually really easy, so they can just learn it and say they were an editor all along. Win-win.

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Jan 10, 2014 at 9:16:31 am

Personally, i prefer being a multi-skilled post-production person. I like being the one who completes the job on so many different disciplines. Its taken me nearly 25yrs to get here, but spending several years honing skills in one area then being able to develop new skills in a different one has allowed me to gradually combine all those skills into a role where i can do pretty much everything thats needed to get the job finished and finished well.

Having such variety stops me getting bored doing the same stuff over and over.

The only real puzzle nowadays is how to describe the job and how to quantify the value of someone who can do the work of 6 or 7 disciplines?
Whilst i like the title Editor, it means very little to anyone outside the industry, and really does not do justice to the job done by a one-man band post-production facility!

my 2p
adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 11, 2014 at 12:32:52 am

I think that there's a genuine lack of understand as to what an editor/animator/art director/graphic artist/producer does. The knowledge of what is involved with each of these positions seems to stop at the edit suite door.

I worked as Art Director at a broadcast station for fourteen years, and we were regularly visited by the "suits", from the GM right on down to the sales department, and not one of them had the slightest awareness of what any one of us actually did. Comments ranged from "So what do you do?", to an occasional angry "You're just putting video clips together - why is this taking so long!". And that was in the days (5 or 6 years ago) when many of the job descriptions had actual borders to them. The graphics people did graphics and handed them off to the editors, etc.

Even in this time of informational overload, and the ease of looking up job descriptions, I don't think anyone (at least in the management and human resources realms) cares to find out what skills are necessary, as long as the job is getting done. This was especially true at our station, which was non-union. Our sister station in Boston was a union shop, and God help you if you touched a piece of equipment which wasn't in your realm. Camera crews never touched the audio board or editing equipment, and cross-training was non-existent. But this was in the broadcast world, quite a different realm from the post houses and one person shops which proliferate these days with the democratization brought on by cheaper hardware and software, and the death of "high-end" broadcast equipment as we knew it. I can do more with Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects for under a thousand dollars, than I could ever think of doing on our quarter million dollar Dubner graphics system!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

John Grote, Jr.
on Jan 26, 2014 at 7:05:22 pm

I understand and agree with most of what has been said. That being said I am a damn good editor who has over the years honed my craft and my skills of story telling, wether its spots or long form. Along the way I have learned more editing systems then I had ever imagined, such is keeping up with technology, and in doing so I have become quite proficient in my After Effects skills. (As an aside I do love AE) I love AE for all the things I used to be able to do with a K-Scope (Okay, I know I dated myself on that one). But even then we had graphic designers or the agencies did and most of them still do. I have surrounded myself with very talented designers that I work with and trust and at the end of the day I do what I am good at doing.

J. Grote, Jr.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]