FORUMS: list search recent posts

Guides to editing for 3D?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Travis
Guides to editing for 3D?
on Nov 9, 2013 at 1:25:32 pm

Hello all,

I've just been informed that the doc project I'm starting on next week is shooting in 3D, so I need to bone up on 3D techniques and practices. Can anyone point me in the direction of good articles, tutorials on 3D filming/post?

While I would like to see some general guides to 3D workflow in Avid, I've been informed that this won't be my problem and that I'll mostly just be cutting in 2D. What I'm really interested in is any guides to the main tricks and gotchas when cutting something for 3D viewing e.g. I've heard that having action go off the side of the frame is a big no-no as it ruins the 3D illusion. That's the sort of thing I'm after. Any help on this front would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Guides to editing for 3D?
on Nov 14, 2013 at 10:39:30 pm

Do a google search for Tim Dashwood.

Anything he writes or says about 3D you can take to the bank.

And if you email or chat with him - say Hi from me.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Christopher Travis
on Nov 26, 2013 at 6:03:57 pm

Thanks for your response Bill. I never got to check him out and the job is done now. It was pretty full on but managed to get the cut to the channel in time in the end.

I must say my initial thoughts on 3D broadcast are not all that positive. Granted, the main problem with this show was that it was done in an "observational" style, which meant run and gun shooting. As you can imagine this led to loads of illegal shots with edge violations and what not. The worst part of it was the broadcasters defined minimum percentage of 3D shots. Throughout the show, much of the best footage was from go pro cameras, but because they weren't 3D, we had to keep replacing the best shots with inferior, but 3D shots. In my opinion that's no way to make good telly.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 27, 2013 at 10:39:12 pm

Totally understand. At some point, the only thing that matters is keeping the clients happy - even when what they're asking for makes scant sense.

Keep Tim's name somewhere - and if you ever have a 3D question, I'm sure he'll be happy to help.

He's like that.

; )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]