FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need some sound mixing advice

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cindy Hill
Need some sound mixing advice
on Oct 11, 2013 at 12:30:54 am

Hi all,

I am in the weeds of editing a 12-minute promo style piece showcasing the creative work of the grad students and faculty members in The Doc Film Program at Wake Forest University. I have some good material and have pretty much nailed down the content, but I confess I am having a difficult time with the sound mix. I don't have a singular music theme to play off of, and I am having to mix around musical elements embedded in some of the film clips. The content is also quite divergent-- some Holocaust-related themes, some very comical moments, etc. My question to the group is do you have any advice on handling transitions between very different thematic and musical elements? Should I lengthen the cross fades or make distinct breaks between the two tracks? Even with dips to black, I am finding some of the audio transitions to be challenging. Somehow editing our last doc film seemed some much simpler! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I do apologize for the fuzzy nature of the questions.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
Re: Need some sound mixing advice
on Oct 11, 2013 at 3:51:03 pm

This is interesting. It seems you are struggling with a basic editorial structuring issue more than with the technical sound transitions. It sounds like the real problem is how the segments contrast and interact. No sound dissolve will take you from Holocaust to comedy and back. But an idea might. It's hard to comment without seeing the movie. Good luck.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
Re: Need some sound mixing advice
on Oct 14, 2013 at 3:27:06 pm

Hmmn. Your video link doesn't work for me.
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]