FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need vendor to convert Vegas Pro project to Premiere Pro _ VENDOR FOUND!

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Kownacki
Need vendor to convert Vegas Pro project to Premiere Pro _ VENDOR FOUND!
on Aug 30, 2013 at 10:30:24 pm

Hi All
Posted this a week ago in the Vegas forum with no response.

I had a project done out of house last year on Vegas Pro, I use Premiere Pro, and now the client wants updates. It's not a complex project and I see that VP should be able to export a PP project file. Have any of you done this successfully?

I tried to work the AE export script/EDL, but couldn't get it working on my mac. I was using MS word to replace the directory strings with a mac-style string. I figured if I was going to spend time on it, I rather work with a Premiere project.

I'm really not interested in downloading a demo (no 64bit PC here anyway) and would like a vendor I can send the VP project to for conversion. There is also a PluralEyes dat folder too as this was a 2-cam shoot. If you can assist me with this task, please contact me steve (at) trustffp.com

Thanks!

Steve

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Need vendor to convert Vegas Pro project to Premiere Pro _ VENDOR FOUND!
on Oct 30, 2013 at 12:58:50 pm

Steve, I'm in the same boat, and found that while I was able to import the video to Premiere, that the subclips I created in Vegas did not come across correctly. Did you find that true also? I abandoned the idea, and finished the project in Vegas, but likely will need to do some of this in the future. Any quick hints on the best practices for the conversion?

I found that if you don't use subclips in your original, and simply have A and B roll with simple transitions (like you find in an interview), that it seems to work pretty well.

Al

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Oct 30, 2013 at 4:45:49 pm

Hi Al
I personally have never worked with Vegas and really know nothing about it's full export capability; plus I was going PC to MAC. I do know VP didn't export any of my titles. If you like I can put you in touch with the guy the did the export/conversion for me; he's quite knowledgeable (and I don't use that term frequently) on interoperability of mac/pc & editing software. Have fun!

Steve

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Oct 30, 2013 at 7:22:15 pm

Right. I think I remember now that I also had to generate new titles. I would love to have his contact, because in some cases I'd be willing to pay to have someone who really had all the answers to the issues before I wasted my time on the conversion. Redoing all the subclips would have been no different than simply recreating the whole project.

And yes, I'm migrating to Adobe on either platform, but likely the Mac going forward.

Al

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Oct 30, 2013 at 9:42:03 pm

Thanks for the endorsement Steve :) There will be things like titles or fx from any NLE that may not translate to another NLE regardless of platform. Getting the actual cut from Vegas to Premiere is fairly straightforward but it does help to do it all on the PC first then move to Mac with Premiere project, though my own experience is showing CC is much faster and more stable on Win64 than OSX...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Nov 6, 2013 at 10:37:10 pm

Thanks Lance. I don't have an immediate need, I'm wrapping up a couple of projects right now. My own small experiences seem to also say that Windows 7 64 seems more stable and fast than the Mac version, but it's been very hard to fully compare, as my Mac Pro is a 4 years old and the i7 WIndows machine is only two years old, so I would expect the i7 to be faster. I've not yet managed to get my 2012 Macbook Pro with 16 GBs fully configured to compare, but my initial reactions seem to be that things seem pretty comparable. My Win 7 machine is a 2.93GHz Intel i7 870 with 16 GBs, and the MBP is a 2.6 Intel i7. They should be comparable. My concern is that Pr might be buggier on the Mac.

Did you notice the problem with subclips not coming across properly into Pr? Or do you use them at all? My project had quite a lot of subclips, and while they showed up in Pr on the timeline, I could not open them in the Source window, so I couldn't apply CC or any affects on them. They did show up in the Program window. I didn't know what to make of that, so I finished the project in Vegas, to avoid running late. Now that it's done, I'd like to take the time to really figure out what the heck was going on. I have quite a few legacy projects in Vegas, and eventually want to migrate some of them.

What I can say is that the images on the screen seem much more vibrant (working within Pr on the Mac), and that it's much easier to use the color correction wheels on Pr than on Vegas, where they seem to not be resizeable. Though I'm trying to work more with the S curves.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]