Jump Cuts

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy J. Allen
Jump Cuts
on Jul 10, 2013 at 4:39:26 pm

Celebrating the changing culture of video editing style:
http://teamcoco.com/video/jump-cuts-in-the-morning

When it is obviously intentional, breaking the "editing rules" can be pretty funny. The key is knowing what you want to accomplish with the edit.

I do appreciate how Conan occasionally spends some time giving TV production people some "inside jokes." Remember the Final Cut X review they did? It's on YouTube, so I can share it here:

It wasn't exactly for a broad general audience, but everyone I know sure could relate.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Jump Cuts
on Jul 17, 2013 at 10:38:53 am

That's a video from two years ago, when the debate was interesting (it was funny enough at the time, although I think the Hitler ones were better).

Unfortunately the debate hasn't been the slightest bit interesting for a year and a half now. Now it's very much "yeah, we know, just let us know when it does everything we need and we'll give it another shot".

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 17, 2013 at 3:08:44 pm

Which raises the question, has the time come to give it that second shot. A lot of people refused to wait this long and jumped to Adobe. I'm still on the fence.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jul 18, 2013 at 9:07:09 pm

Today I finished a piece on my system, then took the drive to one system at my client's place to open the project for final sign off and to play the broadcast version down the line to the broadcast facility which will transmit it tomorrow, then disconnected from that and plug my drive into another of my client's systems to copy the web version onto their internal network (at the moment they do all the formatting and make up their web pages internally, I only supply the video in the editing codec).

You can only really do that kind of thing if your systems are standardized.

I know that a few people like FCPX, but I am led to understand that it's still in a place where you need to add third party extras to make up a system that works for you in every workflow you need to use. TBH, I'd be very happy to be told that that's no longer the case and one simple software install now does everything my client wants (I've read the occasional article but I haven't really looked hard at it since last year).

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 19, 2013 at 8:14:04 pm

[Andrew Rendell] "I know that a few people like FCPX, but I am led to understand that it's still in a place where you need to add third party extras to make up a system that works for you in every workflow you need to use. TBH, I'd be very happy to be told that that's no longer the case and one simple software install now does everything my client wants (I've read the occasional article but I haven't really looked hard at it since last year)."

I don't use a single third party program when I'm editing in X. I also don't use any plug-ins. And I only use external exporting programs if I'm delivering to a TV station or other technical service that has internal requirements.

The files that X exports are acceptable to 99% of my export targets as is. It has extremely modern compression and export file types centered around the technology that Apple either owns or directly licenses through its participation in groups like the H-264 consortium.

The only area of difficulty is if you need to encode to something like WMV, AVI or Flash, then you need to go elsewhere to get those proprietary codecs.

Outside of that. I haven't found anything that it doesn't do inside the program itself

YMMV.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jul 21, 2013 at 2:35:40 pm

Bill

That's really good to know.

As you will realise from what I wrote, most of my work involves collaborating across platforms, so I'm more driven by being compatible with my clients (or their chosen facilities) than what I might prefer cutting with myself.

TBH, I can't currently export directly in AS11+DPP and that's one of the things where taking my project to my client's system and doing the export there is so useful (apart from the convenience of being able to do tweaks at the final sign off stage on their kit rather than having to go back to mine if they need it).

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 22, 2013 at 3:35:08 pm

If you regularly need the widest array of options, I'd recommend you look into Telestream Episode. It's my "go to" tool when I have to deliver anything outside the Apple licensed universe. It takes X output and will convert it to virtually anything with all the parameter control you could nerd - plus, it has very robust batch functions allowing you to set up automated groups of encodes.

I've set it up, for example, with the encoding standards for specific broadcast stations in a time buy, plus a client WMV, and a Flash copy for a specific website requirement - then just drop the master clip on it - hit the start button, and when I come back, the files are all properly encoded and ready to send out.

Now that I think about it,, I'm actually doing that less and less - because today my clients are far more likely to want me to just send them an Apple iPad encode for review and even TV Stations are OK with a wider array of file types. But it's good to have the tool in my arsenal anyway!

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Aug 16, 2013 at 3:15:11 pm

Awesome Jump Cuts video, I hadn't seen it.

I love how the FCPX repost for laughs has derailed the original post though.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]