FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two computer work flow

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tucker Lucas
Two computer work flow
on Jun 3, 2013 at 7:08:39 pm

Hey I'm looking for ideas for best utilizing two separate computers in a post-production workflow.

Last summer I was gifted a Macbook Pro, and then purchased an iMac at the beginning of this year. The Macbook went down in value too much for me to want to re-sell it, so I'm looking for ways to make the two machines compliment each other in a post environment.

Now obviously being able to share render responsibilities over some sort of network cluster is a good option (I'll admit I have ZERO experience when it comes to networking). However, I'm wondering if anyone out there has come up with other useful or creative uses for two separate systems. Here are my specs:

iMac
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
OS X 10.8.3

Macbook Pro
2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
OS X 10.8.3

On the iMac I have Final Cut 7 Suite, FCP X, and Adobe CS6 suite. I'm willing to get licenses for the Macbook if there's a need.

Any and all ideas are welcome!

Tucker Lucas
Editor
Sundog Interactive
tucker.lucas@sundoginteractive.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: Two computer work flow
on Jun 3, 2013 at 9:37:28 pm

Good problem to have. A second computer can be very useful for:

1. After Effects rendering on #2 while you're still editing on the other computer.
2. Compression rendering on #2.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Tucker Lucas
on Jun 4, 2013 at 2:27:12 pm

Bob, has anyone ever told you that you look like Mitt Romney in your profile icon?

lawlz. Thanks for your response btw.

Tucker Lucas
Editor
Sundog Interactive
tucker.lucas@sundoginteractive.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jun 4, 2013 at 5:21:09 pm

Thanks for outing me.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jun 4, 2013 at 6:19:11 am

I'm actually using two computers at the moment to do media management because my client's files are spread over seven drives...

There are loads of ways of saving time by sharing the load with other editors. A couple of weeks ago I was opening the project that another editor was the main cutter on and doing layered effects for him. I've cut individual back story sections while someone else was cutting the "what's happening now" bits and a third editor was compiling them into a master timeline and adding the comm. I've done sound design on one computer while the other was rendering effects. Recently I've been using a second computer to script/ read transcripts/ make notes in an effort to reduce the amount of paper we use.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]