FORUMS: list search recent posts

staying consistent for clients

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lanique Davis
staying consistent for clients
on May 29, 2013 at 6:29:57 pm

Hey,

I was just wondering if any editors here with multiple repeat clients have tips on keeping the different elements of their finished videos consistent with any previous projects they may have done for the client. I'm talking about stuff like font, color scheme, the length of time you play their opening or closing graphics, and other things that you can't necessarily put in a folder with their name on it. I suppose you can write it all down, but I was wondering if there are any helpful programs or anything?

- Lanique

Return to posts index

Christopher Travis
Re: staying consistent for clients
on May 29, 2013 at 6:56:27 pm

While in many ways its clearly not ideal in all situations. There is something to be said for receiving notes by email. I like how it (sometimes) forces the client to distill their thoughts into a series of bullet points that can be ticked off, as opposed to a face to face viewing which can lead to a rambling stream of consciousness. The other benefit is that it can easily be filed away and kept as a reference for future projects. Before you send the next WIP to them, you can quickly look over the notes they gave on the last project and see if you've made any of the same mistakes again.

Perhaps a nice system would be to send a first WIP by email, recieve their main comments by email. Then invite them back for a fine cut viewing to iron out the remaining kinks.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 29, 2013 at 7:12:18 pm

My clients would just eye-glaze if I told them these technical things, they leave that kind of stuff to me, so I keep the oddball elements and any special elements in a duplicate file somewhere on a data DVD which I would call an "Identity reference package". In that folder, I put a readme text file for any other editor that has to work with my elements, outlining the exact fonts I used, their sizes and modifications, specific colors, copies of the logo at actual user size for the project, blank lower third background elements ready to add a name and title, motion files, and anything else like that. Plus, the music and sound effects clips, and a compressed example of how the title sequence or whatever is supposed to look like.

I try to put myself in the shoes of some imaginary guy or gal who is handed my work after I have been hit by a runaway ice cream truck or won the lottery and scampered off to inspect the beaches of the world.... They know nothing about the work, and need a fast introduction to what the "look" was, and where the raw elements are, so he or she can re-create it.

Return to posts index

Scott Cumbo
on May 30, 2013 at 3:30:14 am

I do most things by memorey, but also I'll just refer back to an old project. If you want a font, it's there even if the media is offline. same thing for timing of an open. But timing stuff i don't usual worry about, no one will notice if the open is a sec or few frames off from the last time. it's all feel. color scheme i would write down though, colors can be tuff to match.

Scott Cumbo
Editor
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jun 8, 2013 at 5:05:09 am

I always create a client "image" folder, which has their official logo(s), a PDF file with any corporate identity information which is always to be used (fonts, colors - both RGB and CYMK values, element usage, or key elements from client style guide which pertain to my work). I create a PDF file from an MS Word file on my business computer, because I don't have MS office on my graphics workstation.

I also create templates for commonly used elements such as opens, closes, section intros, lower thirds, and any parts and pieces which are commonly used to create a consistent corporate image. At the beginning of the project, I get as much advance information from the client as possible, and also reference materials, such as web links, corporate collateral materials, color palettes, logo usage, and a style guide, if one exists. This helps to determine the look of the project, so as to match what the client is already doing.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]