FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie Video Editing Freelancer

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Duquette
Newbie Video Editing Freelancer
on Mar 5, 2013 at 11:43:46 pm

Hello,

I'm a newbie video-editor in the New York City area. Is it possible to make a comfortable living in NYC as a video-editor? What is the best way to go about finding work?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Newbie Video Editing Freelancer
on Mar 6, 2013 at 2:51:49 am

I think you may find that many people who cut in NYC are actually living in the Bronx, Jersey, etc. and sometimes basing their suites there, due to the costs of living in NYC proper. I would be afraid to bet on supporting myself in the Apple: highly competitive, a glut of talent and more coming out of the schools every day, the rates a race to the bottom, and a high cost of living means it would be harder than usual to eke out a living unless you worked at very high end/high margin places, or liked living a very low-income lifestyle. Your best chance may be to try for it when you are young and free with nobody eles to depend on you, free to make mistakes and to live on the edge of poverty for some time while getting established.
If you go ahead there, I think you must be very brave.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 6, 2013 at 10:01:29 am

Possible? Of course. Easy? Probably not. I'm in LA, not NY, but I assume the job market and cost of living are similar.

Best way to get work? If you are young do everything you can. Look online, go to user group meet ups, find other industry people in NY via online forums like the COW or Twitter and reach out to those people. Don't ask for a job but ask to meet up for lunch or drinks so you can pick their brain.

As Mark said you'll be slummin' it for a while (like a few years most likely) before you find your groove but don't let that stop you. It's an adventure so go for it.

Long story short, I came out to LA after college, crashed & burned, moved back to the Midwest to lick my wounds then moved out to LA again a couple years later. It's worked out much better this time around (thankfully). You only live once and it's better to try and fail than to ask 'What if?' when you are 50.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 6, 2013 at 4:31:57 pm

I think internships are a great way to break into the biz. They give you the ability to learn and more importantly they introduce you to people who can introduce you to other people. Plus, if there is a job opening and they like you, you will most likely get the job. At the top of the COW there is a Service button. Be sure to check it out.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jonathan Duquette
on Mar 7, 2013 at 11:37:39 pm

That's a really good idea. Another friends suggested contacting the companies that I'd really want to work for and then, see if they are hiring, but if not offer my services for minimum wage or for free. I'm doing work for several different clients, and production companies which so far is working out pretty well...

Return to posts index

Jonathan Duquette
on Mar 7, 2013 at 11:41:18 pm

I hear ya. I've been crashing and burning for the last three years. I'm thinking about moving home to recover financially, however, I've recently been getting more work than ever. It's still not enough and I wonder if going home and polishing my skill-set then moving back to the city would be a wise choice, or that I should just keep networking and learning as I go. I'm a little worried of being to comfortable at home and never coming back...being broke sucks.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Mar 9, 2013 at 1:14:43 pm

In a big market, you will only stand out if you can specialize. If you are just another Final Cut/Premiere/Avid editor, you can compete with all the other people with those skill sets, and getting the job may have more to do with connections than anything else.

If you learn something more exotic, you will have fewer competitors. What that "something more exotic" is, is the question.

If you intern, don't just keep doing what you've been doing - learn something new.

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Mar 14, 2013 at 2:29:09 pm

My advice: If you really want this, don't go home to "lick your wounds". I have found that the single greatest asset you have to getting work in NYC is your reputation and contacts. If you are making contacts now, then go home, you will return back at ground zero. Stick with it. I agree whole heatedly with the above recommendation to talk with people "to pick their brains." If you want to talk with them specifically about a job for you; 9.9 out of 10 times they wont give you the time of day. I whole heatedly disagree with working for free. I think it is next to impossible to go from nothing to a paid position doing what you want. Seek out the less desirable jobs like night AE work.

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]