FORUMS: list search recent posts

Finally switching from FinalCutPro 7.0, Which way to go?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zack Koczanski
Finally switching from FinalCutPro 7.0, Which way to go?
on Feb 25, 2013 at 2:45:31 pm

Making switch from FinalCutPro 7.0. Suggestions for new editing tool - Avid Media Composer 6.5 or Premier?

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: Finally switching from FinalCutPro 7.0, Which way to go?
on Feb 25, 2013 at 5:56:16 pm

Most migrated to Premiere. I like it ok. Bottom line... what ya like the best and what best suits your work flow.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 25, 2013 at 7:06:30 pm

What Grinner said. What type of work do you do? What tool best helps you accomplish the daily tasks at hand? That's the one to use.

Avid isn't good at some things, Premiere isn't good at others.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Zack Koczanski
on Feb 25, 2013 at 7:17:31 pm

Thanks. I shoot P2. Some spot work, corporate image pieces, and streaming video. Had FCP since 2006. Older MacPro too slow. Boosted ram to 16 GB, new hard drives and new video card (512MB). Think it's time to move into faster machine. Mac too slow and keeps crashing. Dumped preferences...still freezing.

Return to posts index

Nigel Beaumont
on Feb 25, 2013 at 10:57:54 pm

You seem to be switching software because of hardware problems.....
I appreciate your situation - my 2006 Mac Pro is slower for many things than my little Macbook air, but that's hardly FCP's fault.

The latest versions of Avid and Premier are going to play best with newer machines so you may not see any transformation switching just the software. Personally, I'd go with Premier, but try the free trial for a month and see if it suits you.

Nigel Beaumont

Mac Pro Quad 3.0Ghz 14GB FCS 3 OSX 10.7.4/MBA 1.6Ghz FCPX

Return to posts index

Zack Koczanski
on Feb 26, 2013 at 11:37:02 am

Thanks, Nigel. I'm considering moving to PC platform. And switching to Adobe CS6 with Premiere. I am frustrated with my current older MacPro. I don't what else I can do to improve its performance. Since no more support for FCP 7 decided to switch to faster, more current hardware and software . Appreciate your thoughts .

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 26, 2013 at 4:57:13 pm

I think switching to Premiere or Avid will be a time saver with your RAW P2 files.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Zack Koczanski
on Feb 26, 2013 at 5:55:10 pm

Thanks, Stephen. I think I've made the decision to move to Premiere CS6 Pro and license the Adobe Cloud and build a super fast PC.

Return to posts index

Lisa Talley
on Feb 28, 2013 at 6:34:20 am

I've found that a lot of people make the decision based on what's becoming more of a standard for video production companies in their area. I have a buddy who lives in SoCal who switched to Avid because of how many companies were using it, whereas in Central California everyone has pretty much made the transition to Premiere.

Like everyone else said, every program is great for some things, but not for others. A lot of this is preference of what works best for you, but if you subcontract out to different production houses, having what the majority of them are running might be beneficial for you.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Hensley
on Mar 2, 2013 at 9:32:00 pm

Like everyone says, it all depends on what you do.

At my work place, we are still on FCP 7 and working through the advantages and disadvantages of Premiere and Avid.

For myself, I find that Avid is a great application if you have one project and plan to stick with it for a long time (i.e. editing a feature film).

I also find that Premiere functions more like Final Cut in terms of how it stores footage and reads it. It is better in my opinion for people who are working on multiple projects per day and are constantly moving back and forth between them.

Premiere is also more affordable (especially with the new creative cloud option), and comes with a all-in-one suite style application like Final Cut Studio.

On the other hand again, Avid is a solid application and is incredibly popular. I love working with both.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]