FORUMS: list search recent posts

H2.64 Compression from ProResHQ

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Annie Rooney
H2.64 Compression from ProResHQ
on Dec 17, 2012 at 7:42:54 pm

I work at a post production facility as an assistant editor. We make commercials and when we get the final picture from the finishing house, it's usually in the form of a DPX Sequence. For one of our international spots, the client decided to fix and end card themselves and send us a DPX to do our deliverables with the new end card. The DPX they gave us came out all messed up and pixilated when it was downloaded from the FTP, so they decided to just send us ProResHQ files to work with. Everything looked and worked fine until I started my H2.64 compressions. The end cards and small details in the final picture looked slightly pixilated.

When I got the ProResHQ files, they looked fine, but they didn't have the required 10frame handles or slates that are needed so I added them in FCP7. When I got the the part of my deliverables where they ask for various H2.64 compressions, they became pixilated. This never happened when we get a DPX sequence to start with.

Some background: we make our H2.64 compressions in QuickTime Player and adjust the settings to match what our client wants. This has never been a problem before. Also, we use FCP for our edits and deliveries.

Why is this happening? Is it because I started with just a ProResHQ and exported it again out of FCP7 to add the ten frame handles and slate? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: H2.64 Compression from ProResHQ
on Feb 2, 2013 at 2:21:46 am

What are some of your settings? Are you converting from 23.98 to 29.97? Are fields involved in the ProRes? What bitrate are you encoding to?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]