FORUMS: list search recent posts

Seasons change as subject moves through scene

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Gavin
Seasons change as subject moves through scene
on Nov 27, 2012 at 11:58:09 pm

I've seen this effect in a couple of places and I was wondering how they produced the effect in the first three or four shots where the season changed with as the skier moved through the scene. Was it simply very careful planning with camera placement and matching the two shots from different seasons together or is there a special post-production trick they used?

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Seasons change as subject moves through scene
on Nov 28, 2012 at 7:41:41 pm

The shots are closely lined up.. but no perfect. there is enough change from green to snow that you don't notice the shifts.

After that, it's just some nice masking.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Seasons change as subject moves through scene
on Nov 29, 2012 at 8:56:30 pm

Good planning of the flow of the shots plus tight editing is the main "trick", but often a layered "revealer" might cross the screen composited over the top of everything else, to help cover a discontinuity. The revealer usually is some kind of object that makes sense in the visual context, but it could also be a person's body crossing the view plane.

The best versions of this kind of thing to me are the ones where individual pieces substitute in over time, instead of everything changing at one moment. That's much more work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]