FORUMS: list search recent posts

sourcing hard drives for RAID-6

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
sourcing hard drives for RAID-6
on Oct 22, 2012 at 3:04:29 pm

I don't know where the CalDigit forum went, so I'm coming here for your help. First, in praise of CalDigit, their support team has helped me way past the warranty expired. Thanks to them for that.

Three of my 8 drives have died. One died a year ago, two in the last month (just before the three-year Seagate warranty's expiration). No data has been lost; the 7 drives picked up and kept going, as RAID-5 promised. I did one thing right; I had bought an extra drive with the CalDigit HDOne, so I had the replacement drive on hand, and the system was able to rebuild and get back to RAID-5 quickly.

But losing two drives so close together made me think about going to RAID-6. So I'm thinking of replacing the 1tb drives with 2tb drives, use RAID-6, and have two hard drives on hand as spares. With 16tb to start with, I'll get more capacity than I had with 8tb, even at RAID-6.

1. What do you think of that plan? Does RAID-6 work well in practice for video editing?
2. Where would you recommend sourcing the best "enterprise" hard drives? I've noticed that NewEgg won't even sell more than 5 drives of a kind at the same time, though I suppose I could just enter two orders.

Thanks for your insights.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: sourcing hard drives for RAID-6
on Nov 14, 2012 at 6:37:25 pm

Still researching the question of which 2TB drives to buy, to double the storage of my CalDigit HDOne tower.

Down to Western Digital RE drives, but having a hard time figuring out which is more appropriate: RE WD2000FYYZ vs. RE4 WD2003FYYS.

Any opinions/guidance is welcome.

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Dec 28, 2012 at 8:36:38 pm

Whatever hard drives you are using you can have them tested periodically at Drive Solutions in California.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 28, 2012 at 11:50:11 pm

Have you looked at the WD Red drives? I'm curious about them myself and wonder if anyone here has any experience with them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]