FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's it called when an edit rolls back the clock?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Atkielski
What's it called when an edit rolls back the clock?
on Sep 22, 2012 at 7:37:56 pm

Is there are specific term in editing to refer to cuts that show the same event multiple times, even though it occurs only once in the story? For example, a shot of a car exploding from one angle, followed by a cut to another shot showing the same car exploding from another angle. The car has only exploded once in the story, but the editing "rolls back the clock" (for lack of a better term) and shows the same instant in time more than once.

Is there a term for this? I think I've heard the term "double cut" in relation to this, but now I can't find any references to such a term at all, much less a definition.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: What's it called when an edit rolls back the clock?
on Sep 23, 2012 at 6:18:43 am

I think an appropriate name could the Michael Bay effect.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 23, 2012 at 6:47:16 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I think an appropriate name could the Michael Bay effect."

It probably would have been called the "The 'A' Team Effect" except that was already in use to mean any scene where four "hero types" jump out of a car after it screeches to a stop - a dozen opponents open up with full automatic weapons at them - the "heroes" return similar fire for the entire duration of the sequence - and in the face of all that withering fire - nobody except "bit part actor bad guys" ever get hit.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Sep 24, 2012 at 11:34:05 am

for me its always been refered to as a "John Woo shot".

15 explosions from a single hand grenade!

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 24, 2012 at 2:32:36 pm

Instant replay?

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Sep 24, 2012 at 3:45:57 pm

I'd call it a double-take.

Alex Elkins
Twitter: @postbluetv
http://www.postblue.tv
Post Blue showreel
Latest work: Greyhounds in Motion at 500fps
My Vimeo Pro page

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Sep 24, 2012 at 7:21:24 pm

I did a Google search for "editing techniques film repeat cut".

Top result-
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RepeatCut.

Just happens to be that my guess at a good search term, "Repeat Cut" is the correct term,

Copy/paste- "A visual tool of emphasis, in which the same action, line, or brief exchange is shown more than once in immediate repetition. Often, different angles or takes are used. Sometimes called a "stuttercut" or "triple take" (not to be confused with Double Take)."

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 24, 2012 at 7:57:09 pm

If I was going to give it a name, it might be a kabuki cut, like in kabuki theatre when they clap the wooen blocks and everybody freezes so you can study each actor for a long moment of time.

Return to posts index

Christopher Travis
on Sep 25, 2012 at 8:06:39 am

Wouldn't that be "Bullet Time"?

Return to posts index

Anthony Atkielski
on Sep 26, 2012 at 1:00:13 am

Sounds like repeat cut is the term, as David says; at least I found more references to that than double cut or shutter cut.

I would agree that it can be misused, as some here have implied. But I guess when you shoot something that costs a lot of money, or something that is really supposed to impress the audience, you might be tempted to use it more than once on the screen.

Anyway, thanks for all the answers!

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Oct 8, 2012 at 10:26:36 am

Repeat cut is probably right, though (as has been suggested) instant replay is a nice "downbeat" way of saying it. I agree that it needs an artier term, because if you referred to it as instant replay during an edit session, it would probably destroy the suspension of disbelief that the technique requires.

One of my favorite movies, editing-wise, is Sliding Doors, which uses repeat cuts to cue parallel realities.

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]