FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best (professional) Workflow for MusicVideo Production

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Sanders
Best (professional) Workflow for MusicVideo Production
on Aug 8, 2012 at 12:44:46 am

Hi,

first excuse my insufficient English skills ;)

I´m searching along but I can´t find a lot to this topic.
Can someone tell me about 'the right' workflow in a musicvideo production?

So I shot with DSLR´s. I´ve got Adobe Premiere, After Effects and DavResolve Lite.

What I should doing first? Rough cut? Then grading? Or first grading? What programs should I use? What is the professional production workflow?
I´m a absolute noob but I´m very interested in that.

Thanks for an answer =)

Sam

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Best (professional) Workflow for MusicVideo Production
on Aug 8, 2012 at 8:34:30 pm

It depends on how picky the client is. If you aren't working for a media team who is use to seeing footage that isn't very contrasy (I assume this was shot with Cinestyle or at least the contrast rolled back) then I would do a quick first look (actually called a first light), to at least wrangle in some nice contrast. I would then export the footage to an intermediate file like ProRes or DNxHD. This can be done in Resolve or, if you have it, Speedgrade.

You can then do your rough cut within Premiere. If it's not very effects heavy then you can dynamic link single shots out to After Effects for sfx or fixes like motion stabilization. You'll need to render these shots out in After Effects and replace the dynamic links with real footage, why? So you can bring real footage into Resolve for a final look using an EDL that will basically rebuild your timeline within Resolve.

Alternately, if the video is really sfx or colorgrade heavy, I would create and export a LUT in Resolve instead of rendering out intermediates, and then apply the LUT in Premiere and After Effects using something like LUT Buddy (yes, it even works for CS6, just shuffle it around the plug-ins folder). Your client will see nice previews with some contrast, but you're working behind the scenes with the flat footage all the way through and then linking the original flat footage in Resolve at the end.

Generally a workflow is:
first light -> rough cut -> edit lock -> effects and conform -> final color and finishing

Of course, depending on your timeline, effects might happen before edit lock once you have a good idea of what shots are part of a particular sequence.

And this takes into account no audio because you're cutting against a music track.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Sam Sanders
Re: Best (professional) Workflow for MusicVideo Production
on Aug 8, 2012 at 9:34:33 pm

Thank you so much. Thats helped me a lot.

Big thanks.

Sam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]