FORUMS: list search recent posts

Assistant Video Editor Reel

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michelle Martinez
Assistant Video Editor Reel
on Jul 27, 2012 at 6:43:33 pm

Hello,

I'm new here and I have a question about creating your reel. I am currently an assistant editor at a post production house and I would like to create a reel. In the 3 years I have been here, I have spearheaded 4 projects (2X :30 spots and 2X 2:00 spots). However, I don't think that is enough for a reel. Is it?

I have mostly assisted other editors on their projects. I have also created cutdown version of their final spots. Can I use any of these projects in my reel?

Should I make an assistant editor reel or an editor reel?

I would be using this reel to apply for jobs. I don't want to accidentally take credit for something I shouldn't.

What is the right way of tackling this?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Assistant Video Editor Reel
on Jul 28, 2012 at 4:19:11 pm

I think it could work. You might make a little sequence showing the cut-down process you applied for a spot. A good reel is more about quality than quantity. Only show your very best, and if it is short, well, that's life, you haven't been working long enough yet to have more to show.

It's my understanding that assistant editors get a lot of the less exciting work; ingesting and pre-organizing the clips, prepping graphics, setting up all the keys and text. I don't know how you demonstrate on a reel that you can do a good jib organizing that stuff. Maybe shoot some screen grabs and edit a tight 60 send music sequence of the prices?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Assistant Video Editor Reel
on Jul 31, 2012 at 1:16:30 am

My initial thought when I saw the thread was, "Assistant Editor's have reels?" Unless you videotaped yourself capturing footage, organizing the dailies or making an output for approval I don't think there's a way to make an AE reel. ;)

If you have some spots you've edited that you want to show off then I'd put those on your Editor's reel.

AEing is all technical, behind-the-scenes magic and people looking for AE's know this and wouldn't expect an AE to provide a reel.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]