FORUMS: list search recent posts

Green Screen TV replacement - Editing Workflow

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Olinger
Green Screen TV replacement - Editing Workflow
on Jul 3, 2012 at 3:58:58 pm

Hi,

I am currently gearing up as the editor for a short film that will use require some minor chroma key work (to replace a green screened tv with tv announcer footage.)

We won`t be shooting the news footage until much later in the schedule, but I still want to be able to get a head start on cutting the scene.

For your guys production, what is your workflow for cutting these types of scenes BEFORE you have any footage to key in? When all you have visually is a green screen.

I`m wondering if having a crew member on set read the news footage dialogue and using his/her voice for reference to get the cutting rythme would be the best approach.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Green Screen TV replacement - Editing Workflow
on Jul 3, 2012 at 4:44:14 pm

You could time your own reading of that section of script now, then tell the director you will need at least that long for one master shot on the set. When you inter-cut, you can cheat that time a bit. But you need x amount of seconds live on the set for the master shot. Then leave the rest to the director and actors. Ask the DOP or Director separately to book time to shoot you your "plate" shots on the set, with the consistent lighting and etc., both with and without tracking markers on the TV screen. You will want them to play some flickering grey source out of that screen that adds inter-actively to the room light, if you're planar tracking the shot. That practical light spill from the set helps sell the reality of the shot later in post.

Return to posts index

Alex Olinger
Re: Green Screen TV replacement - Editing Workflow
on Jul 3, 2012 at 4:55:52 pm

Yeah, timing the script reading sounds like a good idea.

I`ll also record a quick voiceover sample of myself reading through the newsreport dialogue, to have some sort of audio to cut to, to get a rough of the rhythm down.

I will ask the VFX guys about the next steps after that, for tweaking the cuts when we get the news footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]