FORUMS: list search recent posts

my reel

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Lanum
my reel
on Jun 6, 2012 at 7:02:32 pm

So basically I do a lot of stuff. I started making videos two years ago with a vhs camera. yeah I said vhs. Any way I'm sick of working minimum wage jobs and not being able to afford things like new gear and the big one RENT. I made this demo

which is made up of videos I have made for contests, music videos for friends, and short films me and my friends have written. I don't have a formal degree in media but am obsessed with it and would love to get payed for my passion.

So my questions are

1. does this video make you want to hire me or make you think i'm a waste of time?

2. How important is a degree?

lay it on thick cause I need to grow

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: my reel
on Jun 6, 2012 at 7:31:02 pm

It makes me want to disable your plug-ins folder.

Show more how you cut, and less of the effects plug-in stuff.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 7, 2012 at 4:02:05 pm

I agree with Mark. Also, I hate Demo Reels with a bug (Your Name in phone number) in the bottom corner. As for how important is a degree? Coming from a guy with a Bachelors Degree. I would do an internship. You will gain a lot of real world experience and the place you internship for might even hire you or hook you up with some contacts. Plus you can get some non-VHS stuff on your reel. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jacob Lanum
on Jun 7, 2012 at 8:34:16 pm

Thanks for the input. Your right about the fx. I made one of the transition and my brain was drooling over the colors and took it too far. I ended up getting a gig at a local studio. Hopeing to learn alot!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 7, 2012 at 9:27:57 pm

Congratulations on the gig. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Andrew James
on Jun 19, 2012 at 7:49:08 am

I agree with Mark to. The video is showcasing the background music than the video skills. There's editing but such doesn't showcase your skills. Maybe you could show us a raw video you shot, edited, directed or what not. But i enjoyed the video still.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]