FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editor's Reel

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kam Knyom
Editor's Reel
on May 18, 2012 at 5:43:06 am

I am a developing editor and want to get involved with freelance, but I have yet to make a reel.

How exactly does one display their editing capability in a short demo reel?
Do you switch from example to example craftily?
Or do you spend more time telling a story?
What exactly are employers of editors looking for in a demo reel of an editor?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Editor's Reel
on May 18, 2012 at 2:32:19 pm

[Kam Knyom] "How exactly does one display their editing capability in a short demo reel?"

Well, in the olden days of 3/4" tape...VHS...and yes, DVD...one would start with a quick 30 second montage of your footage, set to music, and then include short scenes or parts of scenes. THis way, you show people your ability to tell a story. 3 two min scenes or so...keeping things under 7 min.

But NOW? IN the age of the internets? Just have a web page and links to the scenes, and give the employers the options to watch the ones they want to watch.

For example: http://web.me.com/comeback/Shane_Ross_-_Editor/HOME.html

[Kam Knyom] "Do you switch from example to example craftily?"

I often did, yeah. Via a music cue. Or sometimes a simple dip to black. Nothing too distracting from the material I am showing.

[Kam Knyom] "Or do you spend more time telling a story?"

Yeah...that. Show them your ability to cut a project...not make a fancy demo.

[Kam Knyom] "What exactly are employers of editors looking for in a demo reel of an editor?"

That they can do more than cut a montage to music. That they can tell a story, or cut the type of thing the client is looking to get cut.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rocco Forte
on May 30, 2012 at 10:36:53 pm

Editing reels are unique in that - unlike acting / cinematography / colorist reels - they can't truthfully represent how good of an editor you are. For example, a director watches two scenes cut by different editors. He has NO possible way of knowing what footage each editor had to work with and how challenging the scenes were to cut. The editor with the best looking footage / more coverage / better sound mix / better gfx is at a distinct advantage when showing thier work, EVEN THOUGH they might be a lesser editor.

So what a director is looking for isn't the "quality" of editing. He's looking to see how high end your work is and if it matches stylistically with his needs. THEN, he wants to know if he can bare sitting with you in a room for 10 hours and if your ideologies gel.

So how does that affect you? Well the most important thing is to get in the room, but that's not the question so make sure to bring the quality up to the highest standards possible and taylor links personally to match the sensibilities of the person hiring. The most valuable thing you can have is to be "the editor of suchandsuch" namely the guy who cut the thing that everyone knows, so they can say "we got the editor of Entourage coming in" or "the guy who cut those Pepsi commercials" - that's always they guy who gets the gig.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 30, 2012 at 10:42:10 pm

I'm of the mind that the more invisible the editing is...the less it is noticed, the better an editor you are. People watching don't need to know what was involved in the editing process...how much footage someone had to deal with. All they need to see is how the scene plays out and how the story was crafted. And if they are so sucked in that they didn't notice the editing...BAM! Job done.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]