FORUMS: list search recent posts

How much edit time would you budget?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
How much edit time would you budget?
on May 9, 2012 at 5:41:02 pm

I have a potential client looking to edit 50 1-minute videos that will be shot on green screen with different backgrounds. They'll supply all the background graphics and we'll create the on screen titles.

I'm an average speed editor.

Do you think an hour per minute is reasonable, or is that too much? Keep in mind that I have to export each and give to the client with time code windows for approval.

Thanks for your advice.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: How much edit time would you budget?
on May 9, 2012 at 5:59:50 pm

It's hard to say without diving into the particulars.

My big question: is the green screen shot cleanly? Or do you have to do a tweak to every shot?

I would budget two weeks (80 hours) because there are some hidden time sinks: ingest, reviewing footage, transfer to drive, and delivery out.

Beyond editing time, you should bill and consider how long your workstation is tied up start-to-finish.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on May 12, 2012 at 12:18:52 pm

Very much a "how long is a piece of string" question. TBH, if the green screen shots are expertly (and consistently) lit and recorded at 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 at a high data rate, doing 10 in a day can be quite feasible. But if anything is less than immaculately originated you can have a lot of fiddling to do to get it to look right and that slows anyone down a lot. Also bear in mind that client's changes can sometimes take as long as the original cut.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 15, 2012 at 1:16:35 am

What codec are they being recorded in? What kind of machine are you working on? How complex is each video (i.e. is just a talking head giving a straight forward pitch or are there multiple actors in each scene trying to hit marks and deliver lines)? How many hours of raw footage has to be distilled down into each 1 min finished piece?

Lots and lots of variables and loose ends.

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]