FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drop Frame vs Non Drop when editing a 30-minute program

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stacy Lincoln
Drop Frame vs Non Drop when editing a 30-minute program
on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:08:56 pm

I need advice regarding editing 30 minute programs. I have spent most of my 27 year career in news/creative services and production. Most of it producing and editing content under 10 minutes in length. So, I've always used Non-Drop. Question: When editing for a 30 minute program (20 minutes), should I be editing in Drop Frame? And if so, how do you make sure you keep your program in time? My only experience with DF has been "iffy" to say the least. I don't seem to get the timing right. So, if anyone has advice on this, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
Re: Drop Frame vs Non Drop when editing a 30-minute program
on Apr 17, 2012 at 9:18:37 am

[Stacy Lincoln] "When editing for a 30 minute program (20 minutes), should I be editing in Drop Frame? "

If you are editing to fit into a broadcast slot, then yes, you want to use drop.

[Stacy Lincoln] "And if so, how do you make sure you keep your program in time?"

Well, that's why you are using drop frame. It keeps an accurate time count in terms of minutes and seconds, which non-drop does not.

[Stacy Lincoln] "My only experience with DF has been "iffy" to say the least. I don't seem to get the timing right. So, if anyone has advice on this, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!"

I'd be happy to help, but you need to be more specific. There really is nothing iffy about Drop frame. As I'm sure you know, it doesn't actually drop any frames, it just drops the counting of some frames, so that the clock reflects real time. The formula is this: Every minute--except the tenth minute--the count of frames is shortened by two, so that TC ticks over from 01:05:59:29 to 01:06:00:02 without the two intervening numbers. The tenth minute has a full count. The video retains the same number of frames as in Non-drop; its just counted differently, so that minutes and seconds do not go out of sync with the actual clock.

Does this help?

Return to posts index

Stacy Lincoln
on Apr 17, 2012 at 4:02:14 pm

yes..thank you!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 20, 2012 at 10:26:02 pm

Chris,

Very nice decryption well written.

This should help a lot of folks understand the terms.

Nice post.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]