Shawn Bann
Re: Hey guys rate my showreel please
on Jan 23, 2012 at 7:01:54 pm

Aphex twin. Nice!

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jan 21, 2012 at 9:58:24 pm

Kinda has a Residents "One Minute Movies" feel to it.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Jon Fidler
on Jan 22, 2012 at 6:29:09 am

What does that mean, any ideas on how to improve it?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 22, 2012 at 8:19:02 am

My first suggestion is to break it up into multiple reels based on category. One reel for weddings, another for corporate, another for scripted, etc.,. My second suggestion is to show more of your actual edits. Too many reels, not just yours, are basically montages cut to music which is great if you are trying to get jobs cutting montages to music but not so great if you are trying to get a corporate or scripted gig.

I also found the text at the beginning too difficult to read and if you can upload a higher quality version I would do that as well.

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

Jon Fidler
on Jan 22, 2012 at 9:54:39 am

Thanks Andrew

When ive got the time ill sit down and cut a few different reels together. Thats a great idea as i wanted to show I was proficient in all styles but if I do it that way its even better! When you say multiple edits, should I just put a few clips together, so its not so flash but its more to do with showing my work.

I also have 90% of this online too, the finished versions, so I send potential jobs (I only work for free at the moment, im more an apprentice who gets jobs on Mandy), and it seems to work. But if clips is the way to go, ill get on the case with it.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:58:19 pm

Andrew is exactly right about compartmentalizing the demos. For one reason: potential clients will get confused about what your expertise is: corporate suits hate hiring wedding guys, and momzillas may not understand the medical and drama things you worked on because they don't relate to weddings. And neither of them wants to see your experimental drama stuff, they'll likely be turned off by it. Customize for the customer. Maybe even host each demo reel on it's own themed page.

As it is now, it feels too long, and it feels more like a demo of camerawork than cutting. Editing is storytelling, so tell the story by the cuts you make.

I didn't care for the music either; part of editing is making the sound effects and music dovetail into and leverage the visual. There was no nat sound at all, and when that's the case, the music has to work extra hard to sell the shots.

Also, be ruthless in removing less-good footage: you have a few shots there that have lighting problems, or bumps, lose them. Less is more, when what's left is only your best.

Keep at it!

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jan 24, 2012 at 1:10:44 am

[Jon Fidler] "What does that mean, any ideas on how to improve it?"

Residents, "One Minute Movies". Google is your friend.
The video at 3:41 till the end, and the red riding hood stuff both have that weird Residents feel.
Overall, an odd mix of material. There may be some clients that are put off by some of the material included in the video, and think you might not be the guy for the job. Example, if you're editing my daughters wedding, I don't know that I want someone that is into 'weird'.
The audio mix is poor. I had to strain to hear the SOT's because the music was too hot. You had a good chance to show us some skill there, and blew it.
I didn't really see a lot of editing in the reel. I saw a lot of plugins, but not much editing. Being able to produce seamless edits that don't disrupt from the story being told is an essential skill. You seem to have a focus on edits that draw attention to themselves and flashy onscreen FX. For some clients that may be fine, but if I hire an editor I need someone first and foremost that can seamlessly put pictures together. Also the ability to know what shots to exclude is important. I saw shots in the demo that either were onscreen to long, or maybe shouldn't have been included.
I watched the demo with the sound off, and I really didn't 'hear' what you were trying to say. A well edited video should be able to do that.
I would include some actual non-montage editing, and cut the music to pictures thing way back.

Scott Sheriff
Director

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Jon Fidler
on Jan 24, 2012 at 8:37:53 am

Thanks for the no nonsense advice guys. This is all extremely helpful to me.

Return to posts index

Jon Fidler
on Jan 24, 2012 at 8:41:21 am

I think the thing ive really taken away from the advice, is to make new reels which are appropriate to the story and clients and take all of my personality out of it, or just the weirdness of it.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 24, 2012 at 1:24:11 pm

No, wrong; your "personality" should show thru in the point of view communicated by your choice of cuts.

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Jan 25, 2012 at 4:19:27 pm

I'll apologise in advance because i could only get to 1 minute in before i had to stop.

The comments made by the other guys are spot on.

My own take on it is the reel gave absolutely no clue about your ability as an editor. The shots you chose to show were poor quality. Bad lighting, dull content, lazy composition and as a viewer i was completely detached from it.

You need to engage your audience, so watch it with a critical eye and if something is not the best you can show, then don't show it.

Well done corporate video is so much more than a flatly lit face square on to camera in a scruffy little cubbyhole of an office. Try avoid those, and certainly don't show three variations in row!

Edit reels are particularly difficult to do, because most viewers are watching the content, not the edits. Good edits tend to be invisible -personally i think if you notice the edit, you've not really done a good job.

So firstly, tell a story,
and secondly, find a way to combine your images and sound so they complement both the story AND the each other - ie a good edit.... and if that means colour correcting the shots - so be it.

If you find you need some shots that you dont already have...find a camera operator in the same situation as you and do a deal, he shoots them, you edit them and then you both have a usable reel as well as a good contact for future jobs.

good luck...all craft takes time to perfect.

adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Jon Fidler
on Jan 26, 2012 at 6:53:43 am

Thanks again, its obvious ive still got a lot to learn but this has been helpful. Im going to go back to the drawing board and read a lot more on storytelling and editing for a couple of months, and then ill re do the reel and come back again for feedback. Thanks for the excellent advice, its been very straight to the point but immensely helpful!

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jan 27, 2012 at 11:51:20 pm

Jon,
Glad to hear you're taking the comments in the proper spirit, and didn't think we were harshing on your reel.
In my case, I don't have a ton of time to beat around the bush, so I tend to just get to the point.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Jon Fidler
on Jan 28, 2012 at 11:42:32 am

Hi

No I agree, if you dont cut to the point no one would ever progress!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]