FORUMS: list search recent posts

Opinion wanted...PIX 240

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Kuntz
Opinion wanted...PIX 240
on Dec 5, 2011 at 3:02:59 pm

I am considering the purchaser of a Sound Devices PIX 240 external recorder to capture directly to a SSD. As a shooter I awlays do my best to consider the needs of the editor. So I am looking to this forum for feedback from anybody that has worked with footage/files from this device. What I am most interested in is #1 Is the quality of the footage good or is their noise in it? #2 Are SSD's a good delevery device from the field to post?
FYI I am also considering the nano flash. But as a shooter, the PIX 240 seems to be much more versatile and the SSD cards seem to be a much better option. Any input from those of you in post would be a big help.

J

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Opinion wanted...PIX 240
on Dec 6, 2011 at 5:42:25 am

What camera?

Return to posts index

Jay Kuntz
on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:52:31 pm

The cameras I own and want to use the PIX on are A Panasonic Varicam and a Sony PDW700

J

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 6, 2011 at 5:10:17 pm

Tape or tapeless Varicam?

Do you deliver to Avid, FCP or other post houses?

At any rate, 10bit i-frame ProRes movs or DNxHD MXFs are a very welcome addition to any editor.

If you are saving tape capture, I, as an editor, don't mind this at all.

There will be no noise that is introduced that isn't already in the signal.

Instead of SSDs, it might be better for you to deliver a hard drive to post, but it depends on your relationship with post. Using hard drives will also prevent you having to get your expensive SSDs shipped back to you, and lost, stolen or broken in the process.

What format (frame size/rate) do you shoot?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jay Kuntz
on Dec 6, 2011 at 6:12:24 pm

Jeremy,
My Varicam is the F tape
As an independent I shoot for a wide variety of clients both FCP and Avid. Unfortunately I usually have little or no interaction with post...just the producers. However, I always keep the editors in mind.
Basically, I am looking at the 240 to extend the life of my Varicam and also allow me to provide whatever codec, rate and resolution producers want. My concern is from the comment of an associate that pro res is noisy when compaired to XDCam 422. So many options, so many opinions. Do you have any direct experience with any files from a 240?

J

J

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 9, 2011 at 6:03:27 am

[Jay Kuntz] " Do you have any direct experience with any files from a 240?"

I haven't worked with a 240, bit have experience recording from a host of other capture devices right in to ProRes. If there's noise in the footage, it will be captured. If the noise isn't there, ProRes won't introduce any more.

You should certainly do your won tests, but your ideas are good ones if you want to extend the life of your tape based camera for a while longer.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Dec 6, 2011 at 1:35:57 pm

I haven't tried the PIX240, but I have been using material shot using a NanoFlash. Pictures are very good on the nanoflash, but we've been using it piggy-backed on a Sony EX3 and the one problem we've had is that using the NanoFlash in this way means using the EX3's microphone inputs, which are, er, let's just say, not quite ideal (limiters which kick in too early and can't be turned off plus a sound level display which is very hard to judge levels on). YMMV. Having it's own mic inputs might make the PIX240 a better bet in that way, so I'm quite interested myself...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]