FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's a day to you?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian McBain
What's a day to you?
on Nov 23, 2011 at 11:28:17 pm

Hi,
I'm wondering what other contract editors count as a day?
I get paid by the day, and have been keeping close track of my hours lately. I'm wondering what other people in the industry qualify as a day.
A typical work day is 8 hours, in most regular jobs. But when I've been a staff editor, I've worked 14-18 hour days for the same pay as a regular day.
Just wanting an opinion from some people.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Glen Montgomery
Re: What's a day to you?
on Nov 24, 2011 at 12:44:54 am

In my world's it has always been a 10 hour/day

Editor / Motion Graphics Artist, Denver CO
http://coldpost.tv/

Return to posts index

Chris Schwager
on Nov 24, 2011 at 1:44:23 am

In Australia, 10hrs = Full Day and 4hrs = Half Day

Chris
Creative Director
Ridge Films

Ridge Films

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 26, 2011 at 4:35:56 am

Are you guys figuring in an hour lunch and two 15-minute coffee breaks in there somewhere?

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Nov 26, 2011 at 7:42:58 am

In the UK it's basically a 10 hour day (including the breaks that Mark mentions) but sometimes I have the flexibility to, for example, take only a half hour lunch break and leave that bit earlier at the end of the day if I want to.

Sometimes I'll agree to a buy-out on hours rather than be paid overtime after 10 hours (which is my usual arrangement), depending on what the fee is and whether I'm really interested by the job or want to work with that director, but that's not very often.

In my last staff job we were originally paid overtime after 10 hours, then the company imposed new contracts where we were expected to work whatever hours they wanted without overtime payments. Sadly but rather unsurprisingly, the company ended up closing down because over the next few months we all left and they didn't have any staff to do the work they had. (The editors and the facility manager ended up much better off in what we all moved on to, but it was tough for the junior people there.)

Return to posts index

Chris Schwager
on Nov 29, 2011 at 1:36:21 am

Yep and a break should be allocated no longer than 4-5hrs into the day. My Crew is pretty flexible but I always check with department heads before announcing anything. It also really depends on how hard you're pushing them on the day. I'll give crew a half hr if the day is pretty laid back. Most of the time they'd rather work and get to the end of the day, than waste time on a lot of breaks.

You'll know what's right, if they good crew they won't be complaining as long as you communicate up front before hand.

Good luck

Ridge Films

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Nov 30, 2011 at 8:32:25 pm

Ten hours. After that it's time and a half.
This is why most bill by the hour.

Return to posts index

Ian McBain
on Nov 30, 2011 at 8:37:15 pm

Thanks everyone. 10 hours is the unanimous winner!
This makes me happy. I was thinking a few people might say 12-14 or so. But that's probably more of a producer's answer than a freelancers editor's.
Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]