FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's fastest?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
What's fastest?
on Oct 27, 2011 at 4:52:48 pm

Don't know exactly where to post this, so I apologize if this is the inappropriate forum.

As a long-time edit* user, then FCP editor, I realize that my favorite editing software feature has nothing to do with advanced features: just make it FAST. I remember the predecessor to edit* quite fondly because it was always instantaneous (albeit at off-line resolution).

With FCP and high definition footage, in layers, I'm continually getting slowed down by rendering. I've done all I can with settings, fast hard drives, RAID, fast MacPro, etc. But I still get interrupted almost every time I move a shot.

So I ask: what is the FASTEST software out there for my MacPro, and even run fast on my MacBook Pro.

Of course, I'm a hypocrite - I will be quite ticked off if such software lacks any of the features I've come to love in FCP. But bear with me - what is the best, speed-wise, of the other big contenders, such as Avid, Edius, PP, etc.?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: What's fastest?
on Oct 29, 2011 at 8:12:03 am

I haven't compared all of the options, but I'll offer this: I'm doing a fast turnaround job one day a week at the moment (studio rec in the morning, editing during the middle of the day, transmission in the evening from the tapes I make). I have Avid and FCP on my Macbook Pro and it's a no-brainer - Avid is the right tool for this job, I just don't have to think about the speed of the system and I would have to if I were to use the FCP.

On the other days of the week I'm using FCP (this is for the same client) because those things are going onto the web and we established a different workflow for that on FCP about a year and a half ago (I've been going back to do another batch of them fairly regularly since we started the strand) and it would be very awkward to change.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Nov 1, 2011 at 12:40:20 am

[Bob Cole] "With FCP and high definition footage, in layers, I'm continually getting slowed down by rendering. I've done all I can with settings, fast hard drives, RAID, fast MacPro, etc. But I still get interrupted almost every time I move a shot."

I hadn't had this problem myself, even though I edit a lot of supposedly processor intensive HD footage on a MP system without a RAID. So I haven't looked for alternatives to FCS.
So you didn't mention what codecs/formats are giving you problems, but I'm guessing that you have not quite done all you can to optimize your system and workflow, and/or you are working with a codec that was never intended to be real-time in FCS.
For FCS, I guess a lot would depend on your source material (audio, video and still), and there are clearly formats that are not real-time in FCS, those that are, and those that are marginal as far as real-time performance is concerned. Optimizing this part of the workflow makes a huge difference in the amount of real-time playback once you get into post. And if you are not getting real-time playback of optimized formats (ProRes) do to large amounts of filters/plugins/layers, there is the concept of baking your FX laden, or heavily layered shots. Or at least turning off processor intensive filters once you have established your 'look' on a short piece of footage, and save all that rendering until the final cut.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 9, 2011 at 5:24:44 pm

[Scott Sheriff] "So you didn't mention what codecs/formats are giving you problems, but I'm guessing that you have not quite done all you can to optimize your system and workflow, and/or you are working with a codec that was never intended to be real-time in FCS."

Thanks.

I'm sure you're right, and I've tried, but to no avail. I should have added that my MacBook Pro, with a firewire drive, is often faster than my MacPro. So something is clearly wrong.

Probably not, but perhaps a factor is that one of the eight drives in my CalDigit HDOne RAID 5 failed this week, so if it was failing slowly, that may have had something to do with it.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Nov 2, 2011 at 4:32:13 pm

I think over and over you'll the answer of Avid on this question.
I use FCP, Premiere, and Avid MC and hands down over and over Avid is quicker with editing. Now, importing big files and such will frustrate you in the Avid world because it makes new media files out of this footagerather thanjust importing a reference to the actual file like FCP does. Things like rendering disolves in FCP can make a day longer than it has to be though. The basic keystrokes and edit behavior is quicker in Avid as well. This part becomes subjecyive dpending on what NLE you as a user are fastest or most comfy with.
I mentioned Premiere. Man, it's come a long way since it was the kid brother of NLEs. If you do a lot of AE work, you'll love the gains had with dynamic linking. I can tell you our shop will most likely migrate toward Premiere soley within the next year. Avid is just not a company that wants to compete and Apple doesn't see the value in FCP creating new mac users enough to keep creating them with it. Adobe is poised quite well to be the industry standard very soon.

Return to posts index

Len Schwartz
on Nov 2, 2011 at 4:38:41 pm

I would have to agree with you on that. I would recommend it.

To Your Success,

Dr. Len Schwartz
Pres/CEO of Pro2Pro Network
http://www.Pro2ProNetwork.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 2, 2011 at 5:36:14 pm

About an eon ago in TechTime (c. 1994) I was watching a presentation for one of the latest-and-greatest NLE's (IMX Cube perhaps?) with a very knowledgeable vendor named Bob Lamm. He listened to the spiel and then turned to me and said, "You know, 20 years from now Adobe Premiere will be the last one of these standing." (a paraphrase)

Hmmm. Wherever you are, Bob Lamm, your prediction is looking better all the time.

I think I'll look at PP.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 9, 2011 at 4:31:16 pm

I run FCP7, FCPX, PPro and Avid MC on my Mac Pro. At up to 1080p sizes and with optimized media, I find MC to have the most responsive media handling of all of them. This includes bringing in ProRes via AMA. This is in spite of the fact that MC 5.5 is a 32-bit app and several of the others are 64-bit. That's a separate issue from whether the app itself is simply fast to operate, but it is a critical factor.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]