FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow of separate AUDIO and VIDEO files?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marco Falcone
Workflow of separate AUDIO and VIDEO files?
on Oct 15, 2011 at 10:36:07 pm

I was just wondering what is the workflow of someone who is creating, let's say for instance, a talking scene between two people, where the audio and video were recorded/shot separately. I ask because this idea intimidates me a little bit. If I had to go about it, I would probably find all the "good" takes, then find the audio track for it, render the shot, then reimport for editing. The problem with that is that that would take a hell of a lot of time. Second option would be you put layer over layer of files, but let's say I wanted to insert the middle of a clip into a talking scene, then I would need to find the point in which the next person talks then sync it? Is this correct? I'm confused as to how a professional would do this with efficiency.

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." -Confucius

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: Workflow of separate AUDIO and VIDEO files?
on Oct 18, 2011 at 6:45:46 pm

What software are you using? The "button" is different for each software. But generally speaking you do not need to render a clip. Just syncing them is enough.

Traditionally, in order to sync you need a clapper and a picture of it. Then you line up the loud clap with the frame of video/film where the clap is shut. Everything after that is in sync, until the director says "cut." The camera stops. The audio stops. Then you start all over again.

It's also why someone on set says "Scene 1 take 2." So you can find the piece of audio. Then the camera is taking a picture of the clapper that displays "Scene 1 take 2."

Yep, this is detail oriented work that has to get done before you can cut the story.

Return to posts index

Marco Falcone
Re: Workflow of separate AUDIO and VIDEO files?
on Oct 18, 2011 at 9:02:28 pm

Sorry I was referring to FCP,

Is there a way you can make one clip out of an audio file and a video file? So when I go to select my IN and OUT points, the audio is already synced in the video file?

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." -Confucius

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]