FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP edit effect

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Lavis
FCP edit effect
on Sep 4, 2011 at 1:12:41 pm

I am editing a video of a couple dancing and i have put a shot of some extremely blurred/out of focus lights over the top and dropped the opacity to 15% to give the film a unique effect but in doing this i have stumbled across a certain look that i want to keep. When i play the film the original dance its slightly slowed down and looks as if its missing frames and gives a slight vintage look. the only problem is once i export it this goes away and the film runs at normal speed.

Is there a way to create this look permanently? its quite hard to explain but i thought i would give it a go.

Hope some one can help.

Mike

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: FCP edit effect
on Sep 4, 2011 at 6:21:58 pm

Sounds like your machine is dropping frames due to having to playback unrendered footage and effect composites.

You might mess around with the STROBE filter a bit (which essentially stores and skips frames similarly, but more regularly than actual dropped frames) and see if you can get close with that.

YMMV.

Good luck.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Sep 6, 2011 at 10:11:04 pm

I'm not a FP user (we all use Premiere currently in CS3 and CS4 suites), so I can't speak to whatever filters and such are available in FP...

But I can easily tell you the "poor man's" way of dropping frames like this, which goes all the way back to VTR-to-VTR editing days...

First, take your clip on the timeline and speed it up to 200%. Then, render out a new clip of that. Then take your new clip, throw it on your timeline, and slow it down so that it is playing at 50%. That combination will give you the action at the same speed (i.e., a 10-second original clip will still be 10 seconds), but it will cut the frame rate, duplicating frames and giving you that strobby look.

That particular math will drop every other frame and duplicate the other ones. If you want it more strobby, you could (for example) speed the original clip up to 400% and then play back the new one at 25%.

Use whatever combination of math works for you.

This is a technique that was used a lot with one-inch videotape machines back in the "olden days" before 24p to give a more filmic look. NTSC footage was sped up 125% and copied over, and the new copy was slowed to 80%. That dropped the right number of frames to give 24fps. It didn't look perfect (not by today's standards), but it worked pretty well.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Sep 11, 2011 at 6:15:58 pm

Because FCP's speed changes tear up the video so, You might want to think about doing it in AE. Either way, slow it down to your liking or strobe it to get the vibe ya want.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]