FORUMS: list search recent posts

4:3 on 16:9 Effect

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Burkart
4:3 on 16:9 Effect
on Jun 14, 2011 at 1:14:34 pm

I've been looking at different methods of using 4:3 footage with 16:9, and have seen a particular effect used quite a bit recently.

See it

at 1:13 and 1:37... it's basically setting the 4:3 video on a gaussian blurred blown-up backdrop of itself.

What are your thoughts on this method? Tacky? Is the trend newer? Does it have a name? Just looking to gain other opinions. Thanks

"A song is an excuse to go to a chorus, and a chorus is an excuse to go to a breakdown."

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
Re: 4:3 on 16:9 Effect
on Jun 14, 2011 at 2:16:52 pm

I don't know if it has any particular name, but I've seen variations of it for some time now, going back into the early-to-mid-90's.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 14, 2011 at 3:13:28 pm

Agreed, this is not very new at all. I don't think it is tacky, it is a simple expedient that keeps some color and motion continuity with the master footage. I have seen and myself done variations of this, where the blurred BG is also turned monochrome, or at least has the chroma turned down about 50 percent.

Why I think it works is that it mimics the properties of natural human vision. You may think your eyes see everything in the same sharp focus all the time, but medical science proves we don't. Only a tiny part of the image is in focus at any particular moment, but the magic of our brain is that it knits the individual samples together in a manner that *seems* like everything is always in focus, everywhere. When we're focused dead-ahead, everthing to the sides goes soft focus but we can still detect movements. So the sharp picture center frame with the blurred sides is natural for the human brain to decode as normal. Your brain discards the blurred information and your perception tends to fill it in with the sharp area.

You can test this effect by puting various thickness and color frames around the sharp center box, creating larger and smaller discontinuities between blur and sharp sections. I'll bet that when you do, the sharp section suddenly *seems* much smaller.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 15, 2011 at 2:37:01 pm

I feel this effect is very common for news type shows. I think it depends on what you are doing. I just helped finish a documentary called Boys of Bonneville that has lots of old footage in it. Some was transferred to a SD tape and no one knows what happened to the original film. We had it feel the screen and I think it looked much better that way...keep in mind that this is "old" footage so people are fine with it not looking sharp.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Dan Mansfield
on Jul 11, 2011 at 11:41:24 pm

Personally, I find it this type of effect on news shows and the like to be distracting. Depending on how old the footage you are working with, I find it more visually appealing to just zoom in and crop. Or instead of adding the vertical bars, frame the 4/3 footage in some graphic template and move the 4/3 frame to one side or the other.

Dan Mansfield
Point7West
http://www.point7west.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 12, 2011 at 1:48:22 pm

Check out the Transformers 3. The beginning of the film mixes historical facts with their story. They show archival footage and at one point show a few clips 4:3, with black on the sides. It worked real well and looked fantastic.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]