FORUMS: list search recent posts

Film about a film editor

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Balam Herrera
Film about a film editor
on Jun 3, 2011 at 12:56:47 am

There is an American film about an editor who works in the post production of a science fiction project. It shows in a very funny way the creative process of an editor and the constant struggle with directors and producers when developing a final cut.

I saw it once many years ago, but I do not even remember where!

Anyone know the name of this film or any information that can help me get to it? I cannot find it anywhere and I would like my students to see it.

Thanks a lot! :)

Return to posts index

Jim Blokland
Re: Film about a film editor
on Jun 3, 2011 at 3:54:03 am

The movie was called 'CQ' and it was directed by Roman Coppola – yes, son of Francis Ford.

Here's a link to it on IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0254199/

Best, JIM.

Snow Leopard 10.6.4
Mac Pro Octo Westmere
14 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 5870
Matrox MX02 Mini
Seritek 4 TB RAID
AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 5 // FCS3

Return to posts index

Balam Herrera
on Jun 3, 2011 at 4:22:32 am

Thanks so much for the quick response!

But CQ seems to have a director as the main caracter, not an editor. Nevertheless I'll look that film up, see if that's it and let you know.

Take care,

Balam Herrera

Return to posts index

Balam Herrera
on Jun 3, 2011 at 4:49:51 am

Jim, I found it!!!

Thanks so much, doing a long search with keywords in IMDb I found it. Here is the link
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082764/

And here are a couple of fragments from the film. Once I get it, it will be really useful for my editing classes!

Return to posts index

Jim Blokland
on Jun 3, 2011 at 3:43:43 pm

Aha! I may have jumped to a conclusion suggesting CQ – although the main character directs the film, he starts off as an editor who is promoted – thus the confusion. Modern Romance looks like a fun film as well. I'll have to check it out.

Best, JIM.

Snow Leopard 10.6.4
Mac Pro Octo Westmere
14 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 5870
Matrox MX02 Mini
Seritek 4 TB RAID
AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 5 // FCS3

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 3, 2011 at 6:28:05 pm

"I don't know, a space floor?"

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 3, 2011 at 6:50:24 pm

I knew this was the film you were thinking of, right away. A favorite clip of mine as well. All of Albert Brooks' films are very good, though my favorite is still "Lost In America".

If you liked the editing and foley scenes from Modern Romance, you may also enjoy seeing the special hell that is the indie film director on set, in the superlative film: "Living In Oblivion" by Tom Decillo (sp?). I guarantee you, you will see a caricature of someone YOU know or recognize in filmmaking there... and if you don't, it's because the caricature is of yourself!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 3, 2011 at 6:53:32 pm

In the Film History forum, we did a thread a while back about the best movies about making movies. You might want to look that up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]