FORUMS: list search recent posts

lens flare as an editing device

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arthur Lunn
lens flare as an editing device
on May 2, 2011 at 2:42:19 am

Have you seen the great TV spots that were cut for "Unknown" a number of months ago?

An example:

My question has to do with the "lens flare" or what I'd call artificial blowouts that were used as an editing device, in those TV spots.

In the link above: prior to introducing the logos of the distribution companies, as well as at :13, you see those.

Is it possible to create those inside FCP? Or were they created in f/x building apps, such as AE? Or plug-ins? Or simply built from scratch?

Thanks for your feedback.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: lens flare as an editing device
on May 2, 2011 at 6:48:55 am

I was using the one in Boris (plugin) acouple of years ago. Ended up using it on everything and got bored with it, so I haven't done it for a while now. There's a lens flare generator in Motion, so you could build the same thing there - Boris makes it easy, for a price. There's a similar thing in Genarts Sapphire, and probably others.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 2, 2011 at 2:05:41 pm

This is very easy to over-do.

Return to posts index

Roy Schneider
on May 2, 2011 at 2:43:30 pm

Easy to use and overused now. Using the sfx to drive it makes it more powerful in the example given
Roy Schneider

Roy Schneider
Long Live Da Cow!

Return to posts index

Arthur Lunn
on May 2, 2011 at 4:42:12 pm

I agree it's overused, but when used in moderation, I think it could still be effective. Thanks all for your feedback.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 4, 2011 at 4:20:39 am

Take a look at this list of FCP free plug-ins. The Too Much Too Soon Flash frame could be of help.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 9, 2011 at 9:55:36 pm

HA! YOu know what's funny about that spot? The blue light streaks you see...those are templates in MOTION. I used them myself in my demo reel.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on May 10, 2011 at 2:28:13 pm

I saw no lens flairs in that trailer. I did see a few sapphire glows uesed sparingly though. Sapphire has both blows and flairs and Genarts is one of those companies that listen to their clientele. Scoop em up, man.

Return to posts index

Patric Logan
on Aug 30, 2011 at 6:18:16 am

There's a new very advanced Motion 5 / FCPX lens flare plugin called mFlare. It is jus as great as Optical Flares fo AE and it's much cheaper. It includes over 110 presets, dynamic animation engine, 3D lights tracking, 13 lens flare objects and all important stuff. Check it out at http://www.motionvfx.com/mplugs-1.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]