FORUMS: list search recent posts

Showreel style

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Farrokh Kouchekpour
Showreel style
on Apr 5, 2011 at 5:13:53 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to put my Editing showreel together, but I am stuck as to what approach to take with it.

I have already made specific reels for each short film I have done, using 2-3 whole scenes, but I want a consolidated showreel with all my work in.

Do I try and show pacing, beats etc or do I go with the 'music video montage' that alot of people tend to use. I personally would prefer the first as I am an editor, not a DP, but if the latter gets you more work then...

Please help.

Cheers guys

Farrokh

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Showreel style
on Apr 5, 2011 at 7:20:30 pm

I asked Farrokh to re-post is Question here in hopes more editors would give an opinion.

Mine boils down to: "montage reels" are good for showing clips of your compositing skills and motion graphic builds, but they don't convey an ability to tell a cohesive story. If I'm hiring an editor, the first thing I need to see in his demos is that s/he can tell a story by how s/he sequences shots, audio, and effects.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Showreel style
on Apr 6, 2011 at 2:59:40 pm

I agree with Mark. Typically a Color Grading, motion graphics or special effects reel is a montage of work to cool music so you can show a lot of work in a short amount of time.

I prefer editing reels that show parts of a project so I can get a real good feel for pacing, style, and Etc.. I think if you do more then editing then it is good to have multiple reels so you can showcase your different skill sets.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]