FORUMS: list search recent posts

Top 10 Dying industries...

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Pierce
Top 10 Dying industries...
on Apr 4, 2011 at 1:56:46 pm

Some alarming news from Huffington Post. Right at the top, #10...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/02/uss-most-endangered-industries_n_8...

Bob Pierce

http://www.lightstreamassociates.com

Mac Pro 2.66 - 8GB memory -
Mac Book Pro 2.33 Duo -
FC Studio 2 - Kona Lhe
Adobe Production Suite CS4 -
Sony Multiformat 14" - Panasonic 42" Plasma -
Ikegami HLDV7 - PVW EX-1

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
Re: Top 10 Dying industries...
on Apr 4, 2011 at 3:00:14 pm

And yet it's a great time to be a video editor

http://images.businessweek.com/slideshows/20110114/top-10-careers-for-2011/...

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Apr 4, 2011 at 3:05:58 pm

This link has a bit more explanation....

http://www.ibisworld.com/industry/default.aspx?indid=1247

Notice how they are defining Video production

The Video Postproduction Services industry includes businesses that prepare motion pictures for public distribution. Companies that are involved in movie or television production and also do postproduction in-house are excluded from this industry.

and the only company they name is Technicolor.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 4, 2011 at 7:12:38 pm

I'm pretty skeptical of several of that source's conclusions about not only our industry, but a couple of others. Rarely is a story like this as cut-and-dried as this one makes out. Sure, the economy put a dent in new home starts because it is financially prudent to pick up a deal on an existing home today. However, to say this dooms all manufactured housing is a reckless assumption. They may only be looking at one segment of that market, and not too closely. The DWELL magazine I like to drool over every couple of weeks is packed with ads for... Manufactured Housing. And we're not talking low-rent Katrina FEMA trailers. These are very striking and unique custom-designed high-tech, high-dollar modular modern /contemporary styled homes, built in the factory and assembled on-site, for RICH PEOPLE. Why? Because they want non-standard, unique new construction with these high-style features, and the factory-built, location-assembled manufactured home lets them afford new construction for the same price, or less than, buying an existing home and remodeling that. So how does THAT fit into IBIS' predictive thinking?

And I know diddly about the housing business. Arguably, I should know a little bit more about the video business. Looking over that "report", it is not at all comprehensive and looks and feels like the conclusions drawn by an undergrad for a 5-page paper he or she rushed thru in a weekend. They seem to try to lump every kind of video operation into a catch-all category and then pick just one representative of that category to stand in for it all. Like using Fiat America to stand for all US car makers.

And they want to charge you for this "business intelligence"?

I'm missing an easy gig, it seems.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:38:14 am

Unless you've got a couple Alchemists sitting next to your rack of HDCAM decks, I don't believe this analysis considers you a post house.

A notable quote from the article:
Video Postproduction is the second notable information industry that is exhibiting steep declines. Technological advances, particularly involving the widespread adoption of digital media have adversely affected the industry’s range of services, from editing and animation to archiving and format transfer. While the use of this technology is becoming widespread, it is undercutting the industry’s services since production companies can now do much of the work in-house.

I'm not really surprised to see one analysis that the post production industry is declining, followed by another claiming that the editor position is growing.

Technology has certainly disrupted our industry several times in the last few decades, and is disrupting it again now. It's bad for large, established companies with huge amounts of capital tied up in infrastructure, and it's good for smaller companies or even freelancers who can suddenly afford to get into post-production with a fraction of the investment previously required.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Apr 5, 2011 at 12:54:19 pm

Dying industry? Seems wording as a changing industry would have been better. Dude could have saved some time and ink if he just wrote "Never has video been in bigger demand. Due to changes in technology and price points, old school post houses are being replaced by folks who bust it out quicker and cheaper with better quality."
I think that's what he meant to say.

Return to posts index

Roy Schneider
on Apr 5, 2011 at 5:35:14 pm

Our careers can be summed up by a book called "Who Moved My Cheese". Simply put, the Post Production (and production) business has changed. Wether it has changed for the good or bad is entirely how you look at it, and adjust to it.

Gone are the days of the huge Post Houses and the huge editor salaries of the 80's and early 90's. Most projects can be done on a lap top, and management expectations are not as high as they used to be.

On the flip side. Cost of entry is fairly low, and more video production is being done then ever before. 10 years ago, I could do no work at all from my house, now I shoot HD, Edit, and create graphics packages there for clients all the time.

No doubt Someone Moved our Cheese, It is our mission to find the new deli!

Roy

Roy Schneider
Long Live Da Cow!

Return to posts index

Richard Clark
on Apr 6, 2011 at 1:02:27 am

change is one of the guaranteed aspects of life but the one we struggle with the most, post production has changed remarkably since I began as a cutting room assistant back in the 60's. I have loved staying on the edge of new technologies and today my studio is as powerful as anything I have ever worked with and . . . it all fits in my briefcase :) my experience in Sydney, New York and Hollywood have shown me that 'Bloat' is a huge post issue. Bloated services and bloated fees and, of course, bloated egos. Back in New Zealand, continuing to edit, I look at Peter Jackson's model of film making and post production and see a commitment to an Industry. From shoot to screen, they have just opened a fully restored Roxy Cinema in Wellington and they appear to have no shortage of clients flying to the South Pacific. Attitude is everything in my book and flavors come and flavors go, Wellington will have it's day and then somewhere else on the planet will become the 'In' thing. Human nature I guess. So panic not and do the thing you most want to do in life, it may not even be in Film :) Coming home to my roots I have discovered photography and writing, fancy that.

Richard Clark's kiwicafe.com
Film | Photography | Writing
http://www.kiwicafe.com/
Aotearoa New Zealand

Return to posts index

Neil Hurwitz
on Apr 6, 2011 at 5:30:59 am

Sad to say it
BUT IT IS TRUE
This industry is being segmented into the
Low end and the High end.
The great middle of the industry has been gutted like a Flounder.
Let’s do an informal poll
How many here work in companies with more than 15 but less than
100 employees?
The great middle was where most of the entrepreneur types cross bred
with the creative types and supported each other.
In today’s present environment this no longer exists.
You either have to be real small, use freelancers on a job by job
Basis or rather large to offer just about every conceivable service
And have sufficient capital to get the latest and greatest.
By low end I do not mean low end product I mean a low end physical
Plant with minimal full time staff, where the owners usually are
editors themselves and they and maybe one or two others are the
company. If an industry is comprised of companies where one or two
heart attacks can shut them down, is it really an industry?
Large companies greater than let’s say 100 employees have the advantage of staffers that are not hands on But can be hands on
with the clients. They have traffic departments that track all client materials, they have schedulers to keep the place running smoothly, they have staff engineers so a problem can be addressed
on the spot and not on the phone or by email, they have spares,
they don't have any single point of failure.
So yes the industry of the independent post house is shrinking
But that is not to say that there are less jobs in the jobs
associated with post, they are just spread out quite differently than
they were just a few short years ago. I would not want to be running
around town with 10 years experience, a good reel and asking for a
100,000 dollar salary now, that's for sure.
It's going to be interesting to see what the shake out is from
the shortage of SR stock. I know lots of houses in the NYC area
where SR work was their last big Locomotive and now they are worried.

Neil Hurwitz

Return to posts index

Richard Clark
on Apr 6, 2011 at 6:55:55 am

says it all . . . for today :)
http://www.stats.govt.nz/browse_for_stats/industry_sectors/film_and_televis...

Richard Clark's kiwicafe.com
Film | Photography | Writing
http://www.kiwicafe.com/
Aotearoa New Zealand

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Apr 6, 2011 at 1:00:45 pm

In London (UK) a lot of facilities companies closed down around 2008-9, but I wouldn't say that there's a decline in the industry. My opinion was, for several years, that a lot of facilities were playing the "cut price" game, investing lots of cash in kit but not much in staff (either salaries or training) and relying on the fact that people had to come to a facility if they wanted to do professional level editing. Those guys were running in the region of 3% to 5% profit so when the technological and economic environment changed they couldn't cope. The places which continually invested in kit and their staff, putting their abilities and expertise at the forefront of the business didn't run into the same problems and several have expanded in the last couple of years (not to mention the opportunities for freelancers going into places that own their own Avids and FCPs but need to bring in skilled and experienced editors).

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Apr 8, 2011 at 4:41:04 pm

Even more alarming are the other stats:

Costume Shops
Where will I go to get my next Stormtrooper Costume? May have to build my next one out of cardboard.

Mills
I assume we will have to resort to grinding our own cornmeal in years to come. Or we could use our disused Ampex motor brush assemblies to make flour.

Photo Finishing
This is news?

Prefabricated Homes
Was this ever a huge industry? Probably, but you just don't hear about it very often unless you are buying a new home.

It is an odd mix of dying industries - likely compiled by a pseudo reporter with nothing more than a web browser. This actually looks like the type of fluff story you see on Cra#ked.com or USA today or your local network affiliate's 5pm news.

In other words, this article is not news, but fluff designed to raise eyebrows without requiring much in the way of journalism.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]