FORUMS: list search recent posts

Colour grading monitor

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Lavis
Colour grading monitor
on Mar 9, 2011 at 4:10:45 pm

Hi

Im not sure if im in the right forum, but thought i would start here.

I am currently working for a company as their cameraman and editor and have been given the task to source new equipment in both camera gear and also for editing. I have purchased all the camera stuff and also a new mac with final cut studio. The computer is great, i have an 8-core 8gb mac pro with a 27 inch led screen and also an older 24inch mac screen linked up duel screen. I have also added an extra graphics card and also a blackmagic intensity pro card to link to an external hd tv monitor.

But i want to purchase a specific monitor for colour grading, i have a budget of £1500 so i know i can only get an entry level one but would some one be able to recommend to me what to go for? I am not a professional colour grader and only use final cuts color program but want to make sure my work is as good as i can make it.

I hope you can help

Many thanks

Mike

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: Colour grading monitor
on Mar 9, 2011 at 7:56:07 pm

you'll fly by your scopes so your favorite lcd screen really is fine today. I've used everything from the old school CRTs to way too expensive monitors calibrated by overpriced tweekers and in the end, man whatever catches your eye at Sams is just as good. Sounds bass ackwards, I know but that's the straight skinny as an owner/operator.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Mar 9, 2011 at 8:44:43 pm

I disagree with Grinner, and that's unusual. While you need to live by scopes to stay legal you can't do moderate to high end color grading without a good monitor. Also the software-based scopes which come with NLEs are notoriously un-reliable.

Given your stated budget of 1,500 GBP you are right at the point you need to be to afford the 17" Flanders Scientific monitor. (Maybe, not sure how much duty / import tax there will be for the UK.) I've been the 17" FSI for two years and been extremely pleased with its accuracy AND its built-in variety of scopes. And FSI has exceptionally responsive customer support, in addition to supporting the COW.

"Creativity always dies a quick death in rooms that have conference tables."
-Source Unknown

Return to posts index

Michael Lavis
on Mar 10, 2011 at 9:21:30 am

I have budgeted for a colour grading monitor so am really keen to get hold of one so i can use it and really get my colour grading looking nice, Its an area that i am really interested in.

I looked at the monitor that you suggested but it looks like it isnt supplied here in the UK. Is there any alternatives that i can get in the UK for this price?

Also as im new to color grading i am un sure what this sentance means:

Also the software-based scopes which come with NLEs are notoriously un-reliable.

Many thanks for your help.

Mike

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Mar 10, 2011 at 12:47:14 pm

[Michael Lavis] "
I looked at the monitor that you suggested but it looks like it isnt supplied here in the UK"

Have you asked them? Click on their ad (usually on the left side of the screen) and make an inquiry via email. I know for a fact that their stuff is available on the continent. But again, what I don't know is how import duty will impact on your final price.

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Mar 10, 2011 at 5:01:55 pm

I find the software scopes in Apple Color work just fine. I do have a hardware waveform monitor as well, which is almost a confidence tool now...I have not had problems with Colors scopes.

Sorry I cant recommend a screen - I still use a JVC TM-H1950C crt monitor which is SD only.For the work i do, it works just fine, but its not really the latest thing!

adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Mar 10, 2011 at 8:23:56 pm

Adam -
You're probably right about the scopes in Color. Just a few years ago Color was a $20,000 product before Apple bought it, making the FC Studio bundle one of the software world's biggest bargains. The scopes I was referring to are the ones in several NLE applications which, by reputation, are not held in particularly high regard.

Return to posts index

Scott Cumbo
on Mar 10, 2011 at 9:36:39 pm

A better monitor is not going to get your "grades" looking better.

practice will.

save the money until you really know what your doing. that way
you can spend it more wisely.

Scott Cumbo
Editor
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Mar 11, 2011 at 10:37:13 am

Yes, it's practice that makes your grades better, but you can be wasting your time if you haven't got a good monitor to see what you're doing on.

I find the scopes in Color to be ok, but I hire a room at my local facility and use their stuff, or pass it over to an experienced colorist for anything critical.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Mar 13, 2011 at 10:37:05 pm

We moved to the Panasonic Plasma because we have the Kona LHi with HDMI out. Not only do they look great but you cahbe nearly 180 degree off axis viewing with no shift in color or blacks. We have a professional Panasonic 17 inch LCD with SDI in and its off axis is pretty terrible. A 24 inch JVC professional in another room on a Kona 3 is the worst and it is backlit. I'm not always straight on to the monitor with a client in the room so I'm somewhat flyng blnd.

With the consumer plasma I can be way off but still see the actual color.

But they have no SDI in so you are stuck with either running component or HDMI if you have it.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Mar 14, 2011 at 9:58:00 pm

Rich-
You do know that AJA makes a wide variety of inexpensive converter boxes. I'm virtually positive that SDI to HDMI is one of them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]