FORUMS: list search recent posts

develope

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harriet Bob
develope
on Feb 16, 2011 at 11:52:36 am

hey guys

i've been editing documentaries for years now, and i am feeling stuck, I work as a freelancer so i don't get to meet with other editors and learn new things fro others, and so i want to develop myself, i am very interested in trailer editing, i had a few opportunities to edit trailers and felt that i really need to learn the tools for writing and editing trailers, do you know of any film editing workshops for experienced editors, not technical stuff but the art of editing. do you have any suggestion on how i can develop myself?

thanks

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: develope
on Feb 16, 2011 at 5:00:19 pm

Doing this type of thing is sort of a hybrid producer/editor job.
Workshop for trailer editing? Haven't seen that. But then again, there is always someone looking to make a buck... Sometimes Promotion and Programming conferences will have round tables on these.
You don't have to work in Hollywood to do this type of work.
Back in the day, we learned this on the job. Cranking out movie/show promos, fill films. Seems like the proliferation of channels has killed the local 'movie station' independent in a lot of markets. But depending on where you live, getting a job cutting this type of thing is still possible. Either at a local station, or one of the cable/sat channels.

The basic workflow is:
Screen the movie for good visuals and sound bites. Look for a hook.
Figure out what are the best clips and how those work together.
Write VO to bridge the gaps and tag.

Trailers and fill films are usually easier, since you have more time, and they can often be odd lengths. Doing short form stuff like :30 will really sharpen up your skills. There are also 'theme weeks', blocks, 'thons, etc that get promoted that are variations of this type of promo.

The other thought is to look for gigs cutting band promos/ music vids. This is another variation of this type of work. Not much writing, and a bigger emphasis on FX, but still a trailer of sorts.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

Jon Fidler
on Feb 17, 2011 at 11:50:13 am

This article is quite good

http://www.microfilmmaker.com/tipstrick/Issue14/Edit_Trl.html

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Feb 16, 2011 at 9:06:57 pm

First, start using periods.
Then grab the NLE of your choice and master it. You can then venture into effects apps and such.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]