FORUMS: list search recent posts

25 fps offline to 24fps theatrical print

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Palmer
25 fps offline to 24fps theatrical print
on Sep 14, 2010 at 12:09:04 pm

Hi, I'm about to edit 35mm shot at 25fps using FCP with Pro Res 1080 25fps rushes.

When I finish the offline, the neg will then be cut as per my 25fps edl & sound will be mixed - also at 25fps.

Finally, our 25fps master will be converted (& audio pitch shift) to 24fps for the theatrical release print (slowing the film I've cut down by 4%).

This is the bit that worries me!...

Will the rhythm and pace of my edits become way off? Do any fellow editors out there have any advice?

I've never been in this situation before as my past projects have always maintained frame rate throughout the project...

The film I'll be cutting has a fair bit of action and I don't want my action cuts to become too sluggish for example or else for dramatic moments to feel ill conceived...

Or else does the speed change create subtle performance issues in the actors?

I'd be really keen to hear from anyone with experience in this situation!

I think I want someone to say 'don't worry, not even Walter Murch could tell the difference' but maybe that's just wishful thinking?!

Many thanks in advance, John : )

John Palmer / Offline Editor
http://www.jpcuts.com

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
Re: 25 fps offline to 24fps theatrical print
on Sep 14, 2010 at 9:52:19 pm

I think that 4% different timing will be unnoticeable as far as pacing is concerned. It's really a very, very slight difference. Assuming the audio is pitch-corrected as you say, I don't think you could tell.

Return to posts index

John Palmer
on Sep 15, 2010 at 1:39:07 pm

Thanks for the advice Micah! You're the second person to tell me should be fine, so already feel heaps better : )

John Palmer / Offline Editor
http://www.jpcuts.com

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Sep 17, 2010 at 8:08:08 am

You can use Conform 25 to 24 in FCP. It will let you to work at the correct frame rate but still be able to generate 25 fps EDL. Make sure to set your Sequence TC to 24@25.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]