Audio adjustment to sync from PAL to NTSC

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Boon Ong
Audio adjustment to sync from PAL to NTSC
on Jul 8, 2010 at 9:05:17 am

Let me explain as simple as I can.

I have DigiBeta tape in PAL.
I used Blackmagic Design to capture the TVC (output in .mov)

After I had captured it on Blackmagic Design, I used Cinema Craft Encoder to separate into.mpv and .wav.

Video is in 29.97dp now after encoding stage.
Audio, as I know, will remain as been recorded initially.

However, what else can I do to ensure the audio sync with the video on NTSC?

I used time stretch to shorten it but the audio sounded way too fast.

Hope to heed some advise from expert here.

Can I actually use the captured video on .mov, import to Final Cut Pro and render out to NTSC dp format? Is it advisable?

Million of thanks.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Audio adjustment to sync from PAL to NTSC
on Jul 8, 2010 at 5:41:09 pm

Hello Boon and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I don't have any solid answers for you. I edited and posted on a documentary in Final Cut Pro last year that came in as PAL. I did all the work in PAL and output PAL files. When I made DVDs for the client, I used iDVD. In its menus, I was allowed to use PAL or NTSC. I chose NTSC. the conversion happened and the client was happy.

I also learned that many (but not all) DVD players these days will play both PAL or NTSC automatically.

Does that help?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Boon Ong
on Jul 9, 2010 at 1:18:08 am

Hi Ty Ford ,

Really appreciate for your swift response.

The reason why I have to convert to NTSC from PAL is due to my other sources (feature and 2nd TVC) are on NTSC. As such, I have to convert it to NTSC.

My job is to encode into .mpv and .wav, adjust the audio to fit to NTSC TVC and later on pass to authors.

I have a question tho.
Having the video filmed on PAL, we have to import it and open the project as PAL, right? If filmed on NTSC, open as follow, right?

So in a way, NTSC is definitely shorter than PAL, as such, if I adjust the audio to fit the length of NTSC, I will definitely get the audio sound like chipmunk, right?

Boon

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 9, 2010 at 1:47:11 am

[Boon Ong] "I have a question tho.
Having the video filmed on PAL, we have to import it and open the project as PAL, right? If filmed on NTSC, open as follow, right?

So in a way, NTSC is definitely shorter than PAL, as such, if I adjust the audio to fit the length of NTSC, I will definitely get the audio sound like chipmunk, right?"

--------------

Boon,

I apologize for not knowing enough about PAL to NTSC conversion. I do know there are a number of softwares and hardwares that do this job. I don't have any experience with them.

I'm not sure what you mean by NTSC being shorter than PAL. If a program is 10 minutes long, what difference does it make what format it is?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Boon Ong
on Jul 9, 2010 at 2:04:53 am

Thanks a lot, Ty Ford.

I had been searching online for a better solution at the same time.

I meant by in theory, NTSC is 29.97fps whereas PAL is 25fps. So it means PAL is longer by NTSC?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 9, 2010 at 3:27:01 am

Boon,

In the old days, there were "Standards Conversions Facilities" where people paid by the minute for conversion. Try the Creative Cow FCP forum and see what they have to say about conversion.

29.97 frames per second versus 25 framed per second, so the individual number of frames is greater, meaning each NTSC frame must be shorter. PAL frames are longer.

I'm not sure that has any real effect on the audio, though. I think if you find the right converter, the audio and video all get transferred together and sync is preserved.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Boon Ong
on Jul 9, 2010 at 3:48:17 am

Thanks Ty Ford.

I had it encode in 2 format of PAL and NTSC. PAL is indeed longer and stand on 30sec (originally from my source) whereas NTSC is 26sec.

I did a timestretch on Soundforge and everything is tally. Just that the audio is a bit too fast.

Thanks a lot. I shall send to my client and see if they approve this fast audio on the TVC.

Appreciated.

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
on Jul 10, 2010 at 11:39:55 pm

[Boon Ong] "I had it encode in 2 format of PAL and NTSC. PAL is indeed longer and stand on 30sec (originally from my source) whereas NTSC is 26sec. "

This should not be the case.

You've not converted properly.

Return to posts index

Boon Ong
on Jul 11, 2010 at 1:32:21 pm

Please advise me.
Given PAL duration at 30sec and been converted to NTSC, what timing should it be?

I used CCE to encode it out.

BTW, I did not select 2:3pull down. Basically, I have no idea when do I need to use that setting? For all NTSC converting?

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
on Jul 11, 2010 at 8:32:41 pm

[Boon Ong] "Given PAL duration at 30sec and been converted to NTSC, what timing should it be?
"

30 seconds.

PAL runs at (approx.) 25 frames per second, and NTSC at (approx.) 30 frames per second.

But the SECONDS (time) is what should remain constant.

You need to "standard convert" from one standard to the other.
Part of the standards conversion is a change in the rate at which the frames are presented in real-time.

30 full seconds should playback as 30 full seconds, regardless of the frame rate.

Return to posts index

Boon Ong
on Jul 12, 2010 at 1:13:34 am

Is there any pull down involved?

What is the program you are using for converting from one format to another?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]