FORUMS: list search recent posts

Software for creating a video lesson for athletes?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Michel
Software for creating a video lesson for athletes?
on Jul 8, 2010 at 3:31:16 am

I'm a coach for amateur athletes who is interested in videotaping my players in action and then creating a "video lesson" that I can show them. I'm interested in finding out what editing software exists that is capable of recording a video of the athlete in slow/normal motion while I critique their technique with a voice over.

I have used a PC product from Motion Pro Software that does this, but is unfriendly, slow and does not allow you to easily edit small mistakes easily.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Software for creating a video lesson for athletes?
on Jul 8, 2010 at 5:23:15 pm

Levi, Ray, and Shoup (sp?) In Springfield, IL has a division dedicated to sports recording/coaching and measurement. I think they handle everything from timing dragsters to Olympic downhill skiers, as well as many ball-related sports.

If that's not in your budget range, and slo-mo is what you're after,
You might want to look at some of the Panasonic cameras, I think it's either the HVX200 or the Panasonic 900 that can do a slo-mo almost as nice as the much more expensive Viper. You would transfer the footege to a laptop non-linear editing program like Final Cut, and then you can manipulate the playback and do more slo-mo on it from there, frame-by-frame, whatever.

You can use interpolation software to "fake" the slow-mo of a high-speed camera, but that software is just morphing up new fake frames in between the real ones, this doesn't really show what your player actually *did* in between those frames, but it may be enough. Software that does this includes the built-in "time remapping" of your editing system, and plug-ins dedicated to the job, like Re-Timer, or others.

Tell us more about what you're trying to shoe and teach, and maybe we can give more pointed advice. Remember: you can have it quick, good, cheap, but you only get to pick any TWO of those at one time.

Return to posts index

Tom Michel
on Jul 13, 2010 at 2:39:21 pm

LRS didn't post a price on their site and want a sales rep to call. I'm sure that means big $$. I was hoping to keep my cost under $1K.

What I'm after isn't so much capture of slo-mo - I think 60 fps is plenty for most of what I want to accomplish - it's the ability of the software to have a 'record' window that I can open. Once I have the window open, I want to be able to select a particular play, say an at-bat of a baseball player. Then, I want to be able to start recording in the 'record' window while I play the batter swinging, in slo-mo, at full speed, or stopping at any particular moment (with the record still running). While that is happening, I want to be able to voice over giving pointers to the athlete, like "see how you are dropping the bat down before the swing". I would also like to be able to add graphics, such as arrows and circles, to specifically point out problems. If I want to pause the record window, I should be able to do that at any time to load another video, gather my thoughts, etc.

The Motion Pro software does all of this, albeit in a clunky way, but the main problem with this software is its inability to rewind the recording window to fix a mistake. In order to fix it, you must continue to record the video and save the entire thing and then go back and edit it later. So, if I flub a line and say "drop your bat AFTER the swing" which means something completely different, I either have to start over or go through a big post-production editing process.

I want to be able to crank a bunch of these out after each practice, so it's more important to get something quick and dirty than it is to have a polished end product. Thus, the idea of using Final Cut, creating a storyboard, getting everything lined up is too time-consuming.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 13, 2010 at 6:32:44 pm

That Motion-Pro software looks very impressive. i can't think of something that would work as well. But maybe if you ran a screen-recording app over the top of Motion Pro, like Camtasia, that would give you better control of the captured material. Screen recording apps are abundant these days and offer arrows,highlighting, etc. as well as audio editing.

On the mac side, I might try looking at Adobe captivate, or their software called Adobe On Location, see if that interface is any more agile for your specific needs.

I'm thinking you'll never find it all in just one app, but that your workflow will rely on round-tripping between two separate apps. maybe you just need a different way of working with the Motion pro you already have.

Best of luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]