FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with footage from EX1R and storage options

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Nicastro
Working with footage from EX1R and storage options
on Jun 4, 2010 at 5:23:13 pm

I'll be editing footage shoot on a Sony EX1R. I'll be editing with Final Cut Studio 3 on a newer MacBook Pro. What I am in need of knowing is about what storage to work from. I know it's best to use the fastest hard drives so I know I need to look for 7200rpm. But what interface would best suit me, FW800 or eSATA? Should I use a RAID or will a single drive suffice? Does anyone have a brand they recommend? And is it smart to use a bus powered drive?

Return to posts index

Rocco Forte
Re: Working with footage from EX1R and storage options
on Jun 4, 2010 at 10:09:53 pm

Here's what I'd do:

2 x G-Tech drives.
http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-raid.cfm

One for use, one for backup
FW800 will be fine.
Buy the size you need. They go up to 4TB.

This simple set up has worked for me for, editing with footage from EX1, EX3, RED, HVX etc...

Best of luck.

Return to posts index

Eric Nicastro
on Jun 4, 2010 at 10:25:53 pm

Do you know anything about using bus powered external drives? I was looking at the Lacie Rugged 500gb 7200rpm drive. I already have a back up system in place to copy files to prevent loss of data if my edit drive crashes. But I like the setup you've got.

Return to posts index

Rocco Forte
on Jun 5, 2010 at 7:31:45 pm

Yes, I have used those orange Lacie drives. Mainly to transfer the footage captured on site onto G-Techs. I haven't personally used them beyond temporary or convenience. Though in my experience I've never had more drives crap out on me that those!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]