FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lightworks Open-Sourced

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Radelat
Lightworks Open-Sourced
on May 22, 2010 at 8:28:07 am

I've been looking at the open source graphic and audio production alternatives for some time now, and while some are good, many lack in ways that hinder their use in a professional environment.

This press release...
http://www.editshare.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=164&Item...

...made me wonder if new production potentials can emerge in the editing domain. There's no doubt that Avid has a stranglehold in high-end edit production, and with this app going into the the open-sphere, I wonder if there could be a game change. When a production house has access to source code, they can work an app to their particular requirements more readily.

I've never used this app, but it appears interesting. If you need more background on this app, you can find some here:
http://www.editshare.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=155&Item...

http://www.editshare.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=159&Item...

I'm curious of people's thoughts here about this. Has anyone here ever worked with this app?

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Lightworks Open-Sourced
on May 22, 2010 at 4:59:59 pm

Back in the late 90's early 2000's I used a Lightworks VIP editor. It was built around a Textronix (Grass Valley) 4 ch Profile DDR.

It was a great and fast content editor. Wonderful. The controller was unique and fluid. No effects work at the time. The workflow on this version was like this. You could playout 3 channels of SD SDI in to a production switcher and DVE, add some chyron and mix composite in real time. Then as these 3 streams played out and you triggered your switcher effects, it would record back on the 4th channel and then drop the "composite" clip into your timeline.

Wonderful UI.

I miss the Shark, and am glad it's not dead.

Early versions running on DOS were the first multicam editors and cut the TV show Friends for years. I also believe it was used on Law & Order.

It was very big on both US coasts for film and TV, back in the day. it was then bought ans sold so many times that it lost momentum and faded away.

The early UI looked very Fisher-Price, but it made up for it in speed and flexability.
I was a beta tester in it's last years with Grass valley. V3.01

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Lightworks Open-Sourced
on May 24, 2010 at 6:44:25 pm

I thought the Profile DDR was miraculous, but they were priced so ungodly high that few places bought one. Pity, because it would have made an awesome drop-in replacement for our one-inch VTR's and given us many of the features of a full-blown NLE at least a decade earlier, using our existing cotnrollers and infrastructure. How different would it have been, I wonder, if Grass had priced them to move huge volume in the first place?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]