FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rapid cuts to music - is there a term for this?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Yates
Rapid cuts to music - is there a term for this?
on May 3, 2010 at 1:20:28 am

I was wondering if someone could help me with the proper term for this technique (if there is one):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a77s91_IeJQ#t=3m29s

(I don't want to embed the video, because it jumps to a point inside the video)

I noticed it a lot on Project Runway, I think its a bunch of really fast jump cuts to the beat of the music, and I'm looking to replicate it in premiere. My problem is, I'm not super experienced in editing, and it seems like there has to be an easier way of doing it than how I'd approach it.

The thing is.. I just don't know what I should be googling to get started.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Rapid cuts to music - is there a term for this?
on May 3, 2010 at 6:19:29 am

Maybe 'Montage' might be the closest legitimate term.
Back in the day when MTV, was still Music Television, when you said "a video", "music video" or "rock video", that is the kind of thing you meant. Even if it wasn't a band video. Any fast cut 'image' piece.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jason Yates
on May 3, 2010 at 12:29:26 pm

I guess I was thinking of this more as a transiton than an effect to use throughout the piece. Perhaps I don't mean "to the music", rather than just using a section of the soundtrack as a cue point for this.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 3, 2010 at 2:17:37 pm

"Montage" alone has no set speed amd has several meanings open to mis-interpretation; it could be slow or fast and use a lot or relatively few shots and still be called "Montage".

I call what you're asking about "kinetic cutting", which to me implies many fast cuts that suggest velocity or fast tempo.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on May 3, 2010 at 4:58:48 pm

The first hing any of us did when we started editing was a mess of quick cuts to music. By that, I call it college cuts.
ya prolly won't find that on google though.

Return to posts index

Jason Yates
on May 3, 2010 at 5:11:27 pm

Ok, I think I found my answer.. What I was looking for can be accomplished with the strobe light effect in after effects. (by going to transparent, rather than white)

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WSC36B6866-04B2-4015-A7FC-F622C...

Obviously taste needs to step in, so Im not giving people siezures.. but this is the effect I was looking to use on transition.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on May 4, 2010 at 5:47:51 pm

Annoyingly overused?

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on May 4, 2010 at 10:10:24 pm

I heard someone call it "corte a música" (cut to the music).

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Bill Davis
on May 5, 2010 at 5:28:28 am

It appears we have discovered a previously unknown hole in the lingua franca of editing.

Therefore it must be filled before we move along….

My recommendation?

BoogieCut

As a noun - Horatio knew his first edit was lacking so he drank a Red Bull, chewed his third Snickers bar thoughfully, and swiveled back to his glowing Cinema Display determined to create the ultimate BoogieCut.

As a verb - “Jennifer could BoogieCut with the best of them – perhaps that’s why she caught the boss’s attention. Then again, perhaps not.

As a beat-poet wannabee device.
…all them drill-team junkies – laptops unfurled – boogiecutting across the visual cortex of America like ancient drummers summoning the little village children to dance…

As a trade show taunt… You think you can boogiecut? Please – my grandmother could cut tighter than THAT — on a Steenbeck — from her wheelchair!

Personally, I'm punch-drunk tired, so you folks have to step up with something useful if we’re ever going to fill this awful terminological void.

Carry on.

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
on May 5, 2010 at 8:30:56 pm

I like the way you think, Bill. I'm calling that a "boogie cut" from now on. :-)

Return to posts index

Stace Carter
on May 13, 2010 at 1:46:54 pm

I know it as "cutting to the beat", but I like boogie cut better. It's a common technique I learned, and teach, in FCP classes. Our technique is to insert a slug in the sequence over the music, and then tap out edits as the timeline plays. Then, go back and perform replace edits into the cuts on the slug.

This does seem more like a strobe though; an effect more than an edit.If this were "cutting to the beat", those were something like 32nd notes, and at that tempo, I don't think I could hit the keys fast enough ;-)

Cheers,
Stace

Apple Certified Trainer

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on May 19, 2010 at 12:29:22 pm

Back in the mid-80s we used to call it "Quick Cuts Hip".

Steve

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]