FORUMS: list search recent posts

Image masking/bluring/replacement

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Jarmon
Image masking/bluring/replacement
on Apr 28, 2010 at 3:19:36 pm

I have some video footage where a ring from a can of dipping tobacco is in someone's back pocket. In the footage, they start out facing sideways, then turn so that there back is to the camera. I have been asked to cover up/remove/do something with the ring in the back pocket. Any suggestions? I'm on MC 3.1.3 and also have access to CS4 master.

Thanks!

Ryan

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Image masking/bluring/replacement
on Apr 28, 2010 at 4:39:08 pm

I would export a string of stills from the section into photoshop and use the healing brush to paint it out on each frame using the surrounding textures. Mark an in and out on the section, select export>using quicktime conversion>image sequence. Save in targa or tif format to a dedicated folder. Fix them in photoshop. Make a new FCP bin, set the preferences for graphics in it to one frame duration. When the image sequence has all been fixed, export or drag the folder into the new bin, the frames will stay in order. Go to select>all, drag the entire sequence of stills back to the timeline, they should fit perfectly in the hole where they originated from.

You know California fashion mavens pay hundreds extra for the skoal-can ring wear marks on their jeans? Get the cachet without the mouth cancer :-)

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
on Apr 28, 2010 at 11:32:16 pm

This sounds like a job for the new Roto Brush in After Effects CS5. ;-)

Even in CS4, I'd probably still use After Effects to motion track it and cover it up, but it depends on how close and how long the shot is and what you use to cover up or replace the hole. I just hate working frame by frame with Photoshop if there is another way to accomplish the job that will be invisible once the work is done.

Of course, the "content aware fill" feature in the new version of Photoshop would also save tons of time if you do it frame by frame. I'm itching to hear when that ships.

But back to current reality, Mark's method will provide the most accurate results, the process is not much different for Media Composer as it is for his workflow in FCP.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Apr 30, 2010 at 12:51:51 am

clone another part of the pants by duplicating the layer and masking it. You can animate a mask in AE or use reposition then nest animatte in MC.

Return to posts index

Ryan Jarmon
on Jun 19, 2010 at 9:01:21 pm

Thanks so much for your advice guys! I got it resolved!! :)

Ryan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]