FORUMS: list search recent posts

Make Regular video look like stop motion

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shea Scott
Make Regular video look like stop motion
on Apr 26, 2010 at 9:02:59 pm

Hey does anyone know how to make regular video look like it is really stop motion. Here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MysteryGuitarMan#p/c/CF81022FAB19616C/3/XCWkyjd...

How does he make his movements look stop motion?

I am using final cut so if anyone knows how to do it there?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Make Regular video look like stop motion
on Apr 27, 2010 at 2:29:00 pm

Your example didn't make it thru to be seen. But you can make motion video look like stop-motion by applying a change to he frame rate. There are various means for this, depends what effects you have in your system. Motion has some built-in effects for this, there are others. You can also do it thru the speed ramping controls in Final Cut. Try playing with those to see what you can do.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Apr 27, 2010 at 3:19:10 pm

I just the the camera roll. If shooting a model, I reach in. adjust as needed then move my hands out... rolloing the entire time. If wanting a stop motion vibe to live action, shooting accordingly is key. You want imperfections in motion so your talent will have to do that per your direction. Again, I just roll then pull the frames I want.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 27, 2010 at 5:31:38 pm

The impression I got from the question was how to add the look after the fact on normal footage.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Apr 27, 2010 at 8:37:04 pm

When doing it in studio situations, using a strobe light (lights and mirrors?) with a continuous roll take, then pulling the wanted frames might be the answer. In ambiently lighted situations like outdoors, a "sports" type TV camera or high speed film camera is sometimes used. And a strobe wheel shutter (right name?) in front of the camera is not unheard of.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 27, 2010 at 9:45:37 pm

You guys are over-thinking this:-) We knew how to do this with simple DVE trails effects back when ZZ Topp made all their videos.:-) Just add the delay with the plug-in from Motion and go.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Apr 28, 2010 at 4:41:13 pm

I also see "PhantomCineToolkit by GlueTools" if your stop motions can be done in software.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Apr 30, 2010 at 12:53:33 am

a simple echo or strobe will never look like stop motion. If it's already shot, you'll wanna go in and add position/action imperfections on certain frames to make believable. Much more time consuming than shooting them.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Apr 30, 2010 at 6:09:38 pm

It depends upon the purpose, Hester. What if what you want to grab is smeared by a take longer than 1/80,000 of a second?

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on May 1, 2010 at 4:08:25 pm

I dunno.
To make it look like stop motion animtation, you'll have to go in and tweak.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on May 1, 2010 at 1:19:16 am

Since the example didn't make it I will assume you want it to look like a stop motion miniature shoot. Besides a sharp motion blurless image, and an a steppy frame rate, the key is to simulate a very shallow depth of field. This can be done by blurring the foreground and background leaving an area of focus in the center. It's helpful to have a shot with foreground and background objects.

I've heard this effect described as "Miniaturization" and the "Toy Soldier" look. It most likely was first noticed shooting with the new crop of high speed cameras and the shallow DOF they can exhibit.

John Heagy

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on May 4, 2010 at 9:00:50 am

much stopmotion animation is done by shooting "doubles" ie, every frame is shot twice, so in effect your video will be running at 12frames per second (in the UK).

Different frame rates do get used for effects, such as camera pans.
These will usually be shot on "singles" - but remember to also animate the characters on singles as well, otherwise you get a bizarre effect which gives you a smooth camera motion with a very staccato character. If you are really unlucky, it can even look as if the character is moving backwards every other frame if they are animated for doubles but shot for singles.

The other thing to remember, which is often forgotten, is that in stopmotion there is no motion blur. Unless you have an expensive motion control camera than can expose the shot during a move, then everything will be clean and sharp when exposed.

Thats what gives stopmotion its characteristic motion, now apply those parameters to your video and you should be able to get a pretty ok look.
or you could actually shoot it as if it were stopframe...but that will take you ages.

adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on May 4, 2010 at 9:13:59 am

sorry - depth of field is not key to making something look like stopframe although in the right place it could help sell an effect.

Maybe if you want it to look like it was shot on your kitchen table, then you would probably get that effect due to a lack of decent lighting.

I worked on two worldwide syndicated stopframe shows for six years, and i can honestly say, the only time a shallow depth of field was used was when that effect/style was called for in the story.

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the lower frame rates and the lack of motion blur. Those are the things that really single out stopframe animation.

I think the effect you are referring to as "Miniaturization" is actually called "Tilt Shift", fantastic for making images look like a model http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/11/16/beautiful-examples-of-tilt-shift...'>

Adam Taylor
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on May 4, 2010 at 4:05:15 pm

[adam taylor] "sorry - depth of field is not key to making something look like stopframe although in the right place it could help sell an effect."

No need to apologize... you kind of make my point. Again, without seeing the example, I made an assumption. He wants standard video to look like stop motion. One could say he wants to "sell" video as SM. Since SM is mainly done with models, using shallow DOF will make objects in the video look like models. When doing an all SM show I would assume the goal is to make it look less like SM, and as "real" as possible, minimizing the SM look the production techniques cause. Here he wants to maximize them.

Here's an example of the "Miniaturization" or "Tilt Shift" effect we did in post. It's done via Time Lapse so the frame rate is extreme, as is the DOF effect. This may not be what he's looking for, but it's interesting how the DOF tricks the brain.

http://www.nflfilmstv.com/NewMedia/Postings/NYC-TL-Toy-16x9.mp4

The link to the Tilt Shift site link didn't work for me. If others had problems... try this one.
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/11/16/beautiful-examples-of-tilt-shift...

John Heagy

Return to posts index

Santanu Bhattacharjee
on May 4, 2010 at 4:29:21 pm

I use this technique though manually -

1. Set the snap on
2. take the razor and cut the timeline at equal intervals.
3. take the stretch tool. pull the out points of each ends of the segment and join to the head of the next segment.

http://www.santanu.biz

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on May 4, 2010 at 8:56:18 pm

hey john, i like the tilt shift examples you posted. The brightly saturated colours really help sell the effect as well.

adam

Adam Taylor
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

Justin Cobb
on Oct 5, 2010 at 9:46:35 pm

if you are using Final Cut Pro you cango to Effects and go down to Video Filters. Then make your way to Time, and just add a Strobe effect. And then double click on the video in the timeline and go to Filter and look for Strobe Rate. Change it to about 3 or 4 and it will make your video look like a collage of photos. :P

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]