FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need help with experimental project

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee-Anne Linton
Need help with experimental project
on Mar 25, 2010 at 1:00:23 pm

Hi, I'm a third year editing student and first time poster.

Currently we're in pre-production on our experimental film project and I've been asked by my director to try an create a certain effect when grading: instead of having the color present at the start of the scene she wants me to try to have it bleed into the shot gradually, the effect being similar to when you'd drop dye into water and it would spread outward until the entire glass is completely consumed by the color.

However, I have absolutely no idea where to even begin with this and so I thought I'd ask here to see if I couldn't perhaps find someone who does know.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: Need help with experimental project
on Mar 25, 2010 at 3:33:30 pm

The quickest easiest way is to just animate some masks revealing the color. A far out groovy way would be to shoot some dropped dye in some water, key that over the B & W shot and on another layer do the same but make the fill the color shot.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 25, 2010 at 4:04:17 pm

Check out the Ink in the Compositor's Toolkit Visual FX Library 1 from Digital Juice. http://www.digitaljuice.com/products/products.asp?pid=760

And instead of a key I would do a Luma Blend mode, Just make sure your ink is desaturated so it is black and white. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 25, 2010 at 4:02:12 pm

In the 3-way color corrector in final cut (assuming that's what you're using) you can easily pull the color down to B&W or a monochrome of your choice, and you can keyframe that to come back up over time, or just make a dissolve between a rendered B&W clip and the same clip, untreated. That will make all the colors come up across the screen everywhere at the same time.

If you want a "splash" effect, what you can do is make two identical video tracks stacked one above the other. The top one will be made black and white using the process I just mentioned.

The track underneath is normal all-color.

A wipe pattern or a mask will cut thru the B&W to reveal the color. You can go out and shoot black ink, paint, or better, dollar-store chocolate sauce, being splashed onto a white card, or you can grab a pre-made effect of a paint throw/splash from the content folder in Apple Motion.

This splash footage you use as an alpha channel mask for a travelling matte effect. Layer it over the two previous tracks and set the correct blend mode, and when the splash of black on white happens, that luminance difference information will cut the holes thru the B&W to reveal color everywhere the splash is happening.

Does that make sense?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 25, 2010 at 4:05:05 pm

I like chocolate sauce instead of paint because the fumes are easier to take, small quantities are cheaper than paint and easier to store, cleanup is easy with soap and water, the viscosity and relatively matte reflection qualities are good, and you can put the leftovers on your ice cream after the wrap party.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Mar 25, 2010 at 6:38:50 pm

Mark for the win again.

These techniques will also work in almost any editing program, though some of the terminology may differ.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 25, 2010 at 7:23:00 pm

Well, chocolate IS a universal, after all.:-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]