FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vignetting overload?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Vignetting overload?
on Mar 17, 2010 at 4:09:08 pm

Maybe I'm old and unhip now. When I came up in the business, we struggled mightily to never show vignetting in our camera shots or in a final edit. But I can't get away from it now; every still graphic, every camera shot I see, they ALL seem to have vignetting. I agree it can look "cool", but is it really necessary to have it as the default look now? How do you feel about it? makes me wonder if I'm getting glaucoma or retinopathy or something:-)

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
Re: Vignetting overload?
on Mar 17, 2010 at 8:03:48 pm

i actually only use subtle vignettes to draw attention to something. The harsh vignette is cool, but I only ever like seeing it on Top Gear

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 18, 2010 at 12:15:48 am

This might sound like a lame answer but if it looks cool it looks cool. Although I think it has been abused way too much.

Like Rob, I tend to use subtle vignettes frequently to try and highlight things on an almost subliminal level but that's about it. In most of what I do throwing a hard, cheap-adapter-on-a-skatercam-video type vignette isn't called for.

-Andrew

3.2GHz 8-core, FCP 6.0.4, 10.5.5
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (6.8.1)

Return to posts index

Kai Cheong
on Mar 18, 2010 at 1:36:44 pm

Over in this corner...

Vignetting caused by Wide Angle lens adaptor = expand shot to remove.

Magic Bullet vignetting = Used sparingly to create a certain look; almost always subtle & gradual.

Kai
FCP Editor / Producer with Intuitive Films
http://kai-fcp-editor.blogspot.com
--
Now 'LIVE'! Check Out The Intuitive Films Blog @ http://intuitive-films.blogspot.com

At Intuitive Films, We Create: TV Commercials, Documentaries, Corporate Videos and Feature Films
Visit us @ http://www.intuitivefilms.com
--
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | FCP 5.1.4 | Mac OS X 10.5.7

8-Core Intel Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8GB RAM | FCP 6.0.2 | Mac OS X 10.5.6 | 3.0TB CalDigit VR | 2 x 24" Dell S2409W

Return to posts index

James Dow
on Mar 18, 2010 at 2:16:14 pm

When I use vignetting it's usually because I'm using some of my old Tiffen filters that I bought for an old camera that I don't use anymore, and the Step-Up ring that is required to use the otherwise obsolete (to me) filters creates the vignette. Who knew that my frugal ways would be so cool?

JPD

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 18, 2010 at 2:52:23 pm

I think in regards to graphics, a nice vignette can balance out a title card and force the eyes where you want it. I think some people do stuff just because they can, you should never do something because you can, but because you feel it will make the project better.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 18, 2010 at 3:51:55 pm

Agreed, its just that lately everywhere I look, it seems like they are using it in such a strong overbearing way that it might as well be a spotlight beam from a flashlight in a dark basement. Like I said, my teachers all taught us in TV classes that this look was a technical glitch to be suppressed and avoided by pros, and now it seems like so many folks use it as a default look on all their graphics, as well as many live camera shots.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Mar 18, 2010 at 4:48:46 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Agreed, its just that lately everywhere I look, it seems like they are using it in such a strong overbearing way that it might as well be a spotlight beam from a flashlight in a dark basement. Like I said, my teachers all taught us in TV classes that this look was a technical glitch to be suppressed and avoided by pros, and now it seems like so many folks use it as a default look on all their graphics, as well as many live camera shots."

The same can be said for lens flares –at one time they were a no-no, but now they are cool.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Dan Archer
on Mar 19, 2010 at 4:34:46 pm

AN d when I was in school they taught us to hold the camera still. Avoid flash frames, wicked jump cuts and that crap at the end of the film reel. I think the reason we see it so much is that its a good way to give a feeling of depth to a flat object or background.

A cut is a cut & a dissolve is a disolve, and not just anybody with a system is a pro.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Mar 18, 2010 at 5:06:02 pm

Next you'll be telling us the Toaster "sheep wipe" was overused!

(Thanks - I'm here all week!)

Seriously, effects get popular and then get over-popular. How many page turns were we subjected to when a simple cut or dissolve would have sufficed? How many two-boxes do we see on the news? How much woozy-cam did we endure in its day? Grainy black-and-white slo-mo? Posterization?

Hopefully, this too will pass.

Damn kids. Get off my lawn!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 18, 2010 at 5:17:06 pm

[Jason] The same can be said for lens flares –at one time they were a no-no, but now they are cool.

Not even turning off lens flares could save the Enterprise:

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Mar 18, 2010 at 9:34:59 pm

[Stephen Smith] "Not even turning off lens flares could save the Enterprise:"

Very funny!

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 18, 2010 at 9:41:18 pm

Yeah, isn't it great. Here is the official site with even more videos. http://www.howitshouldhaveended.com/

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Mar 18, 2010 at 8:25:25 pm

I find myself almost unconsciously driven to add vignettes to graphics and After Effects comps these days... it's a super easy way to add focus to the center of a graphical composition that otherwise loses the viewer's attention.

However, I'm trying to use them as little as I can lately, due to the obvious overuse. For anything with a grungy, retro feel, it certainly fits. Otherwise, it's just a coverup for poor design.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Mar 20, 2010 at 1:05:43 pm

Even as a student, I always found it entertaining to hear restrictions like "never do this" or any other old opinion called a rule.
I make shows. There is no template for em. Certainly no room for restrictions from old school thinking that has nothing to do with my needs, taste, or preference.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]