FORUMS: list search recent posts

flexible distribution format

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Kukla
flexible distribution format
on Feb 28, 2010 at 12:06:26 am

I'll be shooting some product demo work with a Sony EX-3. The client will want to hand out VNR-like DVDs to journalists for web clips. We'll have no idea what they will be editing on. Could be win or mac, could be FCP or muvee producer or anything in between. What would be the best common file to encode to?
Compatability across all platforms is more important than picture quality.

I'll be using Premiere Pro CS4 with media encoder and Encore for output to DVD.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: flexible distribution format
on Feb 28, 2010 at 4:01:03 am

quicktimes with the animation codec are generic from NLE to NLE.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Feb 28, 2010 at 4:40:33 am

Photo JPEG at 75% is very good, very compact and very cross platform. It's used for a lot of stock footage by the likes of Corbis, Getty, Artbeats, et al.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Ed Kukla
on Feb 28, 2010 at 12:29:53 pm

"with animation codec"? I don't find that option in my CS4 media encoder.

"photo jpeg" is also not found in my CS4 media encoder

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Feb 28, 2010 at 2:36:23 pm

I'm sure you have the Apple Animation codec. Choose Quicktime in Media Encoder and choose Animation in the format options in the Video tab.

As already stated, Animation works GREAT for cross-platform work; it's also lossless when the quality is set all the way up. The only downfall is somewhat large file size which may or may not be an issue for you.

Photo JPEG should be in the same format options in Quicktime; you should experiment and find which works best for you.

Return to posts index

Ed Kukla
on Feb 28, 2010 at 9:19:31 pm

OK, found it. The preset dropdowns fooled me

Any differences I should be considering between animation & ph jpeg?

Thnx

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 28, 2010 at 11:29:31 pm

If you're unfamiliar with the differences you really need to do some more research before you make your choice.

Try Wikipedia and read up on both choices.

Animation Codec is virtually lossless at it's highest quality setting but it relies on run length encoding which works best on large areas of a consistent color such as you get in 2D animation. It's typically less efficient on "real world" video footage and can actually increase artifacts in such.

Photo JPEG OTOH has some problems with large image and/or high frame rate videos which often don't play back smoothly.

So the choice is often a balance based on the complexity and content of the actual footage and/or who's going to need to play it back in what kind of circumstances.

Ain't digital video fun!

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Mar 1, 2010 at 4:26:16 pm

A data DVD (not a video DVD) with short AVI and QT clips might be a useful thing if it's for re-editing purposes.

Or you can make a number of each and ask people what their individual needs are. AVI and QT ought to cover just about any editorial need imaginable and will not involve horrible recompression/concatenation problems.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]