FORUMS: list search recent posts

cool ergonomics

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
grinner hester
cool ergonomics
on Feb 23, 2010 at 1:39:09 am

LIke many of us, I've always given clients the back of my head while editing. I just moved my studio and set up the new suite so that the client and I face each other:
http://grinnerhester.com/GrinSuite1.jpg
http://grinnerhester.com/GrinSuite2.jpg
http://grinnerhester.com/GrinSuite3.jpg
I love it. Veery comfy. We can make eye contact while discussing options. Much better.
will post a video tour of the new building tomorrow...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: cool ergonomics
on Feb 23, 2010 at 3:22:51 am

Nice job. Close enough to communicate, far apart enough to hold back halitosis or BO.:-)
I had for years advocated an L-shaped setup similar to yours, which is functionally the same. When the client's not there, the short part of the L is more space for scripts, stacks of tapes, munchies and drinks, whatever.

Yes, I eat and drink in the suite. But I'm careful. I practically live there, hell, I expect them to start charging me RENT some day.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Feb 23, 2010 at 4:49:12 am

;)
only part timers don't eat, drink and sleep int he suite.

Return to posts index

Juris Eksts
on Feb 23, 2010 at 1:48:55 pm

Interesting concept Grinner,
I used to work in one facility house where the desks were all designed to have the client behind the editor, which I thought was completely wrong. I too like to see the reaction on a face. I much prefer the side by side position.

But let us know in a month how your system has worked.

Juris

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 23, 2010 at 2:34:59 pm

Juris, sounds like you refer to the "trench" style setup. That is pretty common in network live control rooms, even in remote trucks, but no, it is not a great setup for an editing bay, for reasons Grinner has mentioned. It also assumes an interpersonal dynamic that is not very pleasant for the editor.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Feb 23, 2010 at 5:19:20 pm

I like the set up. Just one question based on the photos... What are you using for a preview monitor? I didn't see one on your side of the desk.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Feb 23, 2010 at 7:08:07 pm

Just the Avid's monitor for now. The deal I've made myself is as soon as I've booked 5 days straight, I'll get a nice flat screen for the wall. There just isn't anymore desktop space to be had.
I fly by my scopes and the client gets the broadcast monitor for now.

Return to posts index

Dan Archer
on Feb 23, 2010 at 7:24:18 pm

Great setup Grinner, I have always favored looking at my client. It make the usual chit chat easier as well. Oh yeah I eat in the suite too. If you have never eaten in the suite you have never truly edited.

A cut is a cut & a dissolve is a disolve, and not just anybody with a system is a pro.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Feb 23, 2010 at 8:24:42 pm

I like.

Always hated having some disembodied voice coming at me from behind in an edit suite. Just about as much as I hated the truly malodorous client who insisted on sitting right next to me (in the old tape room days) and pushing switcher buttons during a sync-roll edit instead of switching from the controller - which would have made edits searchable and generated a list.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]