FORUMS: list search recent posts

Countdown, FFoA, & Reel Breaks

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Krickow
Countdown, FFoA, & Reel Breaks
on Jan 4, 2010 at 9:22:04 am

I have a couple questions I'm hoping someone might be able to answer. If they're inappropriate for this forum I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. I'm editing a feature length project in FCP7.0.1 and I'm going to be placing a countdown leader at the front of the timeline with a 2-pop before I pass the project off to post sound.

First, I wanted to confirm that at the first frame of action (01:00:00:00) the movie (sound/music/titles/etc.) begins. There's no need for adding extra seconds of black after a 2-pop, correct?

Second, I'm wondering how reel breaks are typically marked in FCP when you're passing the project off to post sound and/or color correction? Is there some kind of standard practice... using markers or possibly creating separate sequences?

Thanks for any advice you can give me and have a Happy New Year!

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: Countdown, FFoA, & Reel Breaks
on Jan 4, 2010 at 2:56:47 pm

FFOA follows exactly 2 seconds after the 2-pop. Hence the name 2-pop.

When you break your show up into reels, each reel gets its own timeline, complete with countdown head and tail pops. Most sound and picture finishing houses prefer to work in 20 minute reels.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Jim Blokland
on Jan 5, 2010 at 11:26:18 pm

To add to Arnie's response, each reel countdown normally starts at the appropriate hour mark, ie: Reel 2 countdown leader starts at 2:00:00:00, the 2-Pop is at 2:00:06:00 and program starts at 2:00:08:00. You also need to put a tail leader at the end of each reel, and the same thing applies in reverse. 2-Pop 2 seconds after last frame of picture, followed by a reverse count -- up to 8 seconds.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the film.

Best, JIM.

OSX.5.6
Dual 2.7 G5
5.5 GB RAM
Radeon X800 XT
Kona 2 / K-Box
Seritek 1.5 TB RAID
AVID XPRESS PRO/MOJO

Return to posts index

Abhayadev Sankaran
on Nov 14, 2013 at 6:28:07 am

recently in to post and learning bit by bit... just came across the standard process followed of putting the FFOA @ 1 hour and 2-pop just before it etc.

Just was curious why the FFOA at 1 hour of time line and the entire time-line is empty till 00:59:00:00 ? Is there any documentation on this to refer to?

appreciate your comments and replies.

Regards,
Abhayadev S

Return to posts index

Abhayadev Sankaran
on May 9, 2014 at 1:10:10 pm

So they all are stitched together/or an full length movie prepared for the Final Mix by the Video Editor?

Regards,
Abhayadev S
http://astudios.in

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]