FORUMS: list search recent posts

Real PC Requirements for Adobe CS4 Production Suite?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry Bayne
Real PC Requirements for Adobe CS4 Production Suite?
on Dec 8, 2009 at 9:37:38 pm

So I'm new-ish to video editing and I need to spec out a machine that will use Adobe CS4 Production Suite, including After Effects, Premiere Pro, and my own Adobe Audition, often running together. I looked at the minimum system requirements on the Adobe site but have some legroom to get a good system. I'd like to stay under 1,700.00 if possible. I'll be shooting on a Vixia HF10 in HD onto SDHC cards. I'll want to do graphics and good editing and some post-production effects/color correction. I'm using the system below as my starting point. Could you guys tell me what I realistically need in terms of memory and computing power? Thanks so much.

My starting point is: HP Pavilion Elite e9290f Desktop PC NEW ($1,179.00)
Processor: Intel Core i7-920 Processor
Memory: 9GB
Memory speed: PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM memory (3x2048MB and 3x1024 for ultimate performance)
Total memory slots: 6 DIMM (240-pin, DDR3) (occupied)
Maximum memory expansion: Expandable to 24GB
Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 graphics card with 1.8 GB dedicated graphics memory, 2 DVI ports and support for Microsoft DirectX 10.1
Hard drive: 1 Terabyte 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
Re: Real PC Requirements for Adobe CS4 Production Suite?
on Dec 10, 2009 at 1:45:02 am

8 GB RAM is minimum...you'll find that 16 GB is better.

64 bit OS (to access that extra RAM above 4 GB)

BIG proc...4 core minimum...8 core is far better.

Serious display card helps...a Quadro is helpful.

The key idea is that CS4 with its cross-application data-slinging, really NEEDS resources. Adobe has traditionally rated their software for minimum runnability when most of us are using these suites with 3 apps open running full out just bringing even the stiffest systems a stress-test.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]