FORUMS: list search recent posts

Web Video: Which Platform for Editing?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry Bayne
Web Video: Which Platform for Editing?
on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:32:16 pm

I know the discussion has been had before but there didn't seem to be any real consensus for semi-amateurs. Here is my situation:

I've been an audio journalist for a non-profit organization for a few years. They now wish to move into video, telling stories about members and doing feature interviews with video instead of audio only.

We are mainly a PC organization. But every pro-video person I know around here uses Apple and Final Cut Pro. I've been told to look at Avid (which, with Liquid seems to have had its last release in 2005?!), and Premiere. I'm looking at costs and at workflow and creativity.

Can anyone give me hard facts or at least stiff opinions about what which direction I should be going? I've been using Sony Vegas but need to move to the next step up.

Thanks,
G

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Web Video: Which Platform for Editing?
on Dec 2, 2009 at 12:31:11 am

Budget?
How much time are you willing to put in learning new software?
What is the format of your incoming video?
Do you have any video, or film editing experience?

Without a lot of info, it would be hard to recommend anything at this point.
One thing to consider is that you are showing up late for the party if you are looking at becoming an editor. The market is over-saturated with johnny-come-lately guys that have the cash to buy a system, and they have to compete with all those guys plus folks that have been editing for years (decades) who only had to learn a piece of software.
Not trying to rain on your parade, but that is the situation that exists in 2009, and might have some bearing on your budget if the equipment purchase is on your nickle.

Return to posts index

Chad Simcox
on Dec 2, 2009 at 12:41:17 am

For web, you could use any of those. I myself am a Final Cut Pro editor, but I have used Premiere for web distributed content. 5 years ago I was editing on the Liquid series when it was a product of Pinnacle(before that it was owned by a company called FAST). We did some web content back then, but did our compression in Sorensen Squeeze.
If you're already PC based, go with Adobe Premiere Pro. It's an often overlooked quality editing system that is very similar to Final Cut Pro and will get the job done.

Editor, Designer, Photographer
Denver, Co
http://www.sonofsimon.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 2, 2009 at 2:58:57 am

[Gerry Bayne] "I've been told to look at Avid (which, with Liquid seems to have had its last release in 2005?!)"

Avid LIQUID did...but they stopped supporting that NLE. Media Composer is where Avid is concentrating it's efforts and they had a major release just a couple months ago. With minor ones every few weeks. They are VERY current. Not sure if it is well suited for WEB video. It is a feature film/broadcast TV based system.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Dec 2, 2009 at 8:50:31 pm

[Gerry Bayne] "I've been using Sony Vegas but need to move to the next step up."

What is it that you need to do that Vegas can't do?

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Dec 3, 2009 at 12:48:59 am

I agree with the question of "what is it you can't do now?". That's a big one. Vegas is pretty decent, unless you are concerned with the lack of "Pro" cred.

I use Premiere Pro and find it to be faster and more intuitive than Final Cut, but I have used both extensively. Both have a lot of third party options that do wonderful things. Avid is awesome if you have the money, but Premiere delivers the goods on the PC platform, while I'd go with Final Cut if you are on mac.

Adobe Production Premium has all the stuff you need to get rolling.

As far as the "Jhonny Come Lately" thing: I know how frustrating it is to find new business in today's cheap and fast web contented world. It's not at all like Broadcast but is IS a new market. Don't let those that are frustrated bring you down. If you love doing this kind of work, better to make a penny loving what you do than a pile of cash with something you hate. Don't let people who are already discouraged, discourage you in turn. Just go out there to do the best job you can. Alternately, if you aren't suited for video, find someone local to help you out. Maybe a local video editor has a charitable sensibility for your particular non-profit.

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

Gerry Bayne
on Dec 3, 2009 at 1:19:58 am

Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it. Vegas is fine but part of this is professional development. I can't see myself going out to my next multimedia job with only Vegas under my belt. Most production houses use FCP I'm finding and I'd like to train in what is most marketable as well.

As for coming late to the part, my girlfriend manages a video production house (commercials, documentaries, etc) and I've been around the business quite a bit. I don't feel too far behind. I've already shot one project and edited on Vegas.

I just want to know what the next step is for editing software, both for good web videos for my company and for me to be more marketable eventually. But then, I know you guys don't want to create more competition, so I totally understand if I hear crickets.

Thanks again,
Gerry

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Dec 3, 2009 at 8:13:37 am

[Gerry Bayne] "Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it. Vegas is fine but part of this is professional development. I can't see myself going out to my next multimedia job with only Vegas under my belt. Most production houses use FCP I'm finding and I'd like to train in what is most marketable as well."

Gerry,
Now that's a horse of a different color. Big dif between this and your original post, which sounded like you were possibly, thinking about, dabbling in video editing.
If your main objective is professional development, then FCP is a fine choice, especially if you have an 'in' to get gigs. But in the end it isn't about which platform you use, editing is editing. Plenty of great edits have been made on to 1" going 'machine to machine'. Get some seat time in on whatever system you can get on.

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Dec 3, 2009 at 10:20:36 am

I agree. Being the editor, if that is what you want to be, is more important than the tool you use. There are few career editors that have the option of using the tool of their choice. Learn them all and be the best editor you can be.

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Dec 3, 2009 at 4:09:09 pm

The tools are just that. Tools. No need to get religious about them, though many do.

Editing is storytelling. A beginning, a middle, and an end, with the non-useful parts snipped out. There are a lot of operators out there who can sling effects and filters with the fastest of them, though the number of genuine editors is much smaller.

Return to posts index

Gerry Bayne
on Dec 3, 2009 at 4:35:37 pm

This is great advice, folks. I appreciate it. I just want to have the vocabulary to
tell the story. And Alan, you are exactly right. It's all about telling a narrative.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Dec 4, 2009 at 6:25:41 pm

[Gerry Bayne] "Most production houses use FCP I'm finding and I'd like to train in what is most marketable as well."

I think it's hard to go wrong learning FCP. A few years back I decided I needed to learn FCP since it seemed much more ubiquitous than the other NLE's I had learned. I bought some training books and spent a week going through the lessons. At the end of the week I took the Apple Pro Certification Exam and passed. The examiner's jaw hit the floor when I told him I had only been using FCP for a week. I put my certification on my resume and shortly thereafter got called in to an interview through a craigslist ad. I got the job and was hired as a freelance editor at an ad agency. Oddly enough, a few months later, they switched to Premiere/Axio systems and it was easy enough to make the transition. Eighteen months later, I was making $50 an hour and they even offered me a full time job @ $70k (which I turned down). Anyway, I think it was well worth my time, and a little money, to learn FCP.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]