FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing Keyboards

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Jansen
Editing Keyboards
on Nov 2, 2009 at 6:24:09 pm

Hello,

I've been learning a lot on the forums. Thank you to all who post.

Do the editing keyboards with color coded keys increase your efficiency? Do they work well? Is a built-in jog/shuttle controller a valuable tool for you?

What keyboard brands have worked well and reliably for you?

Thanks for your input.

-Sam Jansen

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Editing Keyboards
on Nov 2, 2009 at 9:05:23 pm

What has increased my comfort and efficiency more than anything is a Wacom tablet. So much better than a mouse. Color coded keyboards are pretty useless, IMO. You need to learn the keyboard shortcuts. Use JKL keys to jog/shuttle.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Nov 2, 2009 at 10:21:26 pm

The editing keyboards can help you to learn the keyboard shortcuts for a particular editing app. That alone makes them valuable. At least until you've learned the keyboard for that app!

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Roy Schneider
on Nov 2, 2009 at 10:58:03 pm

As a long time linear editor with a long history of jog wheels, I can honestly tell you you do NOT need the jog wheel. JK and L keys are faster and more effecient. I am a fan of the coded keyboard though. I know most all the shortcuts, but it is easy on the eye and makes me more comfortable.
That's my 2 cents!
Roy

Roy Schneider
Long Live Da Cow!

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 2, 2009 at 11:07:59 pm

If you don't edit very often then the editing keyboards make sense, but if you edit frequently you'll have the keyboard commands memorized in short order and you'll probably change the keyboard layout which makes the editing keyboard useless if not confusing.

-Andrew

3.2GHz 8-core, FCP 6.0.4, 10.5.5
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (6.8.1)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 3, 2009 at 3:15:08 pm

We bought the Logic keyboards with FCp keycaps and it it awesome, you can be productive right away without consulting the manuals every few minutes, and you learn the shorcuts this way without even trying, just using it over time. I used to edit lienar tape with an EECO EMME editing system that had the sweetest jog-shuttle wheel ever, but I don't find a need for the jog in NLE editing where it is as easy to do one-frame bumps and JKL shuttling using just the keys. Take the money you wqould have spent on the jog wheel and buy a tablet with it. Besides using it like a jog wheel, you will love what you can do in photoshop with it.

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Nov 3, 2009 at 4:05:48 pm

The color coded keyboards are neat, but they distracted me after a while... I've had all the shortcuts drilled into my brain at this point.

I hate the jog wheels on keyboards... when I had a keyboard with one, it rarely worked right, and it required software running that took up system resources that I didn't feel like wasting. JKL keys all the way.

I do have a Wacom now, but haven't really gotten used to it yet; I think it's the bottom of the barrel model and feels way too small for my screen size. It does have potential.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Nov 13, 2009 at 12:36:39 am

If you`re having mentionable trouble with the small size of your tablet, adjust the verniers. Even though different people like big or small it will help a lot. Also do according to what I discovered to do on my old Compaq and IBM, put your trackball mouse and tablet in use together. You can also use two keyboards together. Always go gourmet. A computer without good software and hardware is a box. Fred

Return to posts index

Sam Jansen
on Nov 3, 2009 at 4:08:24 pm

Thank you all for the responses. Exactly the variety of informed opinions I was hoping for.

I think the color coding would help get the shortcuts built into me. The jog wheel is clearly not necessary, so I'll pass on that. I've got a tablet and can only agree: it's awesome.

Return to posts index

Jiri Fiala
on Nov 14, 2009 at 5:45:16 pm

After some time, you won't even watch the keyboard. Let the muscle memory do its magic. No need for color keyboard. As for the jog wheel, it depends on what NLE you use. I used it a lot inPremiere, but in FCP now, it's useless due to the way FCP handles jogs and shuttles. It basically emulates keypresses, meaning you WON'T be able to get smooth jog movement. Too bad, I liked the smoothness in Premiere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]