FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage turning edgy when exported to dvd

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Sherwood
Footage turning edgy when exported to dvd
on Oct 18, 2009 at 9:00:43 pm

First time post. I hope someone can help me. Im looking to start premiering a movie in the next month!
I've been editing in FCP using different HD cams all shot on PAL 25fps.. I finished a few sections in FCP and they played great when i exported them as a QuickTime movie on the Mac.
But when i exported it to a dvd it all turned out bad. The slow mo is edgy and it looks like theres frames missing from the footage..

Heres a link to the vid i am making.
http://nothingvid.blogspot.com

Robert Sherwood

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
Re: Footage turning edgy when exported to dvd
on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:07:19 pm

I'm not sure which version of FCP you are using, if 7, then you can Share>DVD and this will work.

Keep in mind that a DVD is SD and your project is HD, some some conversion is needed.

Here are some comments from Larry Jordan's recent newsletter...

[Larry Jordan]
"If all you need to do is burn ONE sequence to DVD, without any fancy menus, use File > Share > DVD from inside FCP 7. [Using Share from FCP 7 makes better Blu-ray Discs than using Compressor 3.5.]

If you need to create a DVD with menus, use File > Export > QuickTime movie.

Create a self-contained movie using your ProRes format.

Bring that ProRes file into Compressor and apply the DVD Best Quality setting that most closely matches the TOTAL length of all your videos. This process will down-convert your HD footage to SD.

Bring the now-compressed MPEG files into DVD Studio Pro and author your DVD as normal."

Also, keep in mind your 25p settings are PAL. There may be issues with PAL to NTSC is that is your process.

Ed

Avid and FCP Preditor

Return to posts index

Adam White
on Nov 4, 2009 at 6:49:02 pm

If you're footage was shot on HDV another thing you might want to look out for is that you're field dominance is set to Upper in both your Final Cut Pro sequence and in your Compressor settings when you come to output. If it's changed to Lower (as has inadvertently happened to me a few times) that will give you hideously jerky video for sure.

Return to posts index

Robert Sherwood
on Nov 4, 2009 at 11:49:59 pm

Thanks for getting back to me.. How do i make sure the field dominance is set to Upper in the FCP sequence and in Compressor? I have only just started using FCP. Thanks

Robert Sherwood

Return to posts index

Adam White
on Nov 5, 2009 at 12:54:11 am

To check in FCP, ctrl+click on the sequence you need to check, and then select "Settings". The Sequence Settings will appear - check that Field Dominance is set to Upper (Odd).

In Compressor, when you have your project in a batch, drag in the PAL DVD codec and then select "Frame Controls" in the Inspector window. Turn the controls on by clicking the gear button and ensure that the output fields are set to "Top First".

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]